Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy m6-n113dx
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have installed a Logitech wireless mouse which works fine, but how, in simple idiot proof instructions, do I disable the touchpad?  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Heartwings, Greetings!

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I see that you want to disable the touchpad on your notebook. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

• Click the “Start” menu – Type control panel and then select “Control panel” – Change the “view by” to “Small icons” – Select “Mouse” from the list.
  • Mouse properties window will open. Go to “Device settings / Touchpad” tab and then select “Disable” to disable the touchpad.

PS: You can check the box which says “Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached” to disable the touchpad only when you are connecting the external mouse.

Hope that helps. Let me know the outcome.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Heartwings, Greetings!

Thanks for accessing the HP Support Forums for extra support! I see that you want to disable the touchpad on your notebook. I will do my best to assist you with this issue.

• Click the “Start” menu – Type control panel and then select “Control panel” – Change the “view by” to “Small icons” – Select “Mouse” from the list.
  • Mouse properties window will open. Go to “Device settings / Touchpad” tab and then select “Disable” to disable the touchpad.

PS: You can check the box which says “Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached” to disable the touchpad only when you are connecting the external mouse.

Hope that helps. Let me know the outcome.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you, that worked.  Gold star for idiot proof instructions!  :LaughingTears:

HP Recommended

Yeah, but then the touchpad is enabled as soon as the machine wakes from sleep

HP Recommended

Yeah, but then the touchpad is enabled as soon as the machine wakes from sleep. How do you get the stupid machine to remember the settings that you just configured?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.