Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have laptop listed above. For the past 3 days I hasn't not been able to get it in. it sounds like its starting but the screen stays black. Recently installed antivirus on 01/01/2012 because I had some kind of worm/malware. Windows 7 is the OS. Cap lock light is on and "hp combo assistant" light is on constant no blinking. Don't know what to do.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello - try a hard reset - first

Remove battery, AC adaptor connection and then hold down the Power button for 30 secs.

then reconnect all - see if it boots.

if that dont work - try to hit F8 after you power on, you may need to tap the key or hit the ESC key for a menu.

then try booting into safemode.

from there you can try to do a "Restore" - type restore in search box and run the MS system restore - select a date before your problem started.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88
HP Recommended

Hello - try a hard reset - first

Remove battery, AC adaptor connection and then hold down the Power button for 30 secs.

then reconnect all - see if it boots.

if that dont work - try to hit F8 after you power on, you may need to tap the key or hit the ESC key for a menu.

then try booting into safemode.

from there you can try to do a "Restore" - type restore in search box and run the MS system restore - select a date before your problem started.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
HP Recommended
Yes thanks this worked. Can you explain to me what was the cause?
HP Recommended

Hard reset

stored energy in the motherboard capacitors. Sometimes draining this energy with a hard reset can get your HP laptop working again

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

What if that black screen that looks like a loading screen appears on the booting system, when you try botting i see the menu but after that i cant boot it, and f8 doesnt work either. i dont know if you seen that black screen right after the HP screen when you start up the hp laptop, it has a whit underscor flashing whit on let upper corner, for a few seconds but for my laptop it doesn't go out of that screen.

HP Recommended

It sounds like your boot got stuck in the shell. The only option is a reboot. To use F8 you have to press the key before the screen shows anything. You only have a second or so. Most recommend pressing the F8 key repeatedly, as it must be pressed during that narrow time window.

The HP screen is just a background image that is displayed for a couple of seconds, then a shell starts. Windows is actually launched from that shell. There are quite a lot of different programs that all have to run for Windows to run.

If you succeed, then you will see a menu of options. The default option is to boot into Windows 7. safe mode has three options. Scroll up to the top one. Press enter, and Windows should start. Safe mode doesn't show your background, but will have the icons on the screen. From there, you have to know what to do to fix the problem.

Good luck.

If this doesn't work, then you may have to do a restore or reinstall of Windows. Reinstalling Windows will unfortunatly force a reformat of your disk, and you will lose all data on that disk. That should be your last resort.

An expert should be able to get your data off the disk first, but it's expensive.

HP Recommended

I have a dv7 with flashing LEDs, mine is flashing 2 times, I read here https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336130 (Link Updated 04/26/2017)   that this means corrupt bios and to flash the bios. That's all fine and well if you can download the bios to your desktop of the laptop but I have a black screen that wont boot to anything! I didn't know if there might be a boot disk or flash boot disk that I could burn and flash the bios from that? What are your thoughts?

I pulled the HDD and checked it on another computer and everything is there, memory looks good too.

Fans are running. I also plugged in an external monitor to see if it was the screen but still nothing there.

S/N CNF95077P5

Product: WA794UA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hello,

I was recently gifted the laptop stated about and about the second day after getting it, it had troubles with the screen, of course thinking its a hardware problem, i simply took it somewhere to get fixed, after of course installing Skype, did it begin to not work. The people said it would void warranty if they opened it up, so i simply told them not to do it, and took the laptop home, in which the screen powered on delivering a blue screen.

Shortly after, some research i tried those steps and found that my laptop no longer, worked.

It did in fact "power on" flashing lights, and running fine.

The screen simply, staying black,.

What would be the solution for this issue, because i in fact need my laptop for college classes.

HP Recommended
When I press f8 my hp entertainment laptop starts to make a beeping sound. Help my screen is black and I have tons of new baby pictures that I don't want to lose!!!!
HP Recommended

I have just had the same problem and I want to thank the person who posted the solution. It was techno wizardry!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.