Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had this problem with my HP 240 and Windows 10 (I had no problems with brightness befor the upgrade).

A funny quirk: the increase/decrease brightness buttons seem to be interchanged, so try pressing the decrease brightness button while your laptop is plugged in and see if that solves it.

HP Recommended

Thank you, that fixed my issue after installing windows 10,

The brightness has been reversed.

HP Recommended

my computer screen goes balck when i plug in the power cord to my computer.  it comes back on after i remove the cord

HP Recommended

I'm having pretty much the same problem. When I plug the power cord in, the screen goes dark. The brightness settings aren't backwards though, I've tried that. If my computer is off when I plug it in, then turn it on, it's fine. The screen only goes dark if I plug it it when it's already on...

HP Recommended

I've had the same issue since I upgraded to W10. 

The reverse brightness key works; bizzare.

I guess the question is "What is the permanent fix for this?". I should have to mess around with brightness controls everytime I plug the charger in.

HP Recommended

Same problem here, everything was fine until i upgraded to Windows 10 and had this issue, Is it NOT a windows 10 Issue and needs a fix?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem since I installed the Windows 10 upgrade. I checked the brightness settings on the power plan settings and when plugged in was set on brightest but these controls are working the wrong way on windows 10.

So I only had to turn the brightness down to increase it. 

Weird eh!!.

Hope this helps,

Suzukial

HP Recommended

his solution did work for me but I had to do a couple extra steps as my control panel didn't look like his. Here's the steps I used. fyi, dim options and brightness options are two different items you can adjust.

Go to control panel

in search box type  Power Options

Click on power options

In the box that pulls up you will see HP Recommended, if that's the option you have selected, click in the box to the right of that labled change plan settings.

That's where you can adjust brightness options based on when the plug is in or out.

HP Recommended

Hi all, after updating my dads laptop to Windows 10 we had the same errors as stated on here.

What fixed it for me was using the Intel Driver Utility program and updted the graphics driver. That fixed the dimming issue and the button reversal.

Im guessing the Windows 10 drive is an older version thats not compatible

HP Recommended

I tried all the answers but none worked. My Dark and Bright buttons are at F2 and F3.  The small star shape , which I presume is dark, is at F2. I pressed that and the screen came back on. I tried it a couple more times and it works.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.