Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion x2 detachable
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I installed some updates recommended by Windows the other day, among them two ELAN updates.

Right after the update the touchscreen function did not work anymore.

Also, sound does not work: the icon is crossed out with error message "no audio output device is installed"

The HID compliant touchscreen driver was found among the ghosting devices.

As per a suggestion on a MS or HP board I uninstalled this driver and restarted the notebook.

I also performed a hard reset.

Microsoft support spent 3 hours on it yesterday but could not get the drivers reinstalled.

There is also the suggestion to update the BIOS, however, when I start its update, I get a message that Bitlocker was active and I should write down the code number. There is no BitLocker on my notebook and I had this problem before after an update: afterwards the whole notebook was blocked. Back then, the HP support could help me but I am understandably reluctant to go through this problem again.

To make things worse, for some reason my Windows system hasn't created recovery spots, so I cannot set it back to an earlier moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Earonn,

Thanks for the update & appreciate your efforts 🙂

I checked your model number and it seems that the BIOS version you have is the latest one. Hence, no need of further BIOS update.

Let's try using the generic audio drivers to try and fix the issue with the audio. follow the steps below: 

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” / “Realtek audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software” (Depend on the audio driver brand)
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def... or Realtek High def…  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Let me know if this helps with the audio issue.

Also, click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71001-71500/sp71464.exe to run and install the graphic driver update.

Good luck & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Earonn– Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I understand that you are having issues with the touch screen and the sound after the recent Windows update. I will certainly try my best to help you with this issue:)

Audio issues follow the steps below:

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter:

• Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in Windows search.
  • Click on "Playing Audio".
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled:

• Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".
  • Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".
  • Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.
  • Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted:

• Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".
  • On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone:

• Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".
  • Double click on Microphone.
  • Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements:

• Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double click on Microphone.
  • Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.
  • Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone:

• Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".
  • Double click on Microphone.
  • Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

For the touchscreen issues:

Please follow the steps mentioned here and check: http://hp.care/2iywxLX

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck & Wish you a very happy new year 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi DVortex,

thanks for your assistance. Hope you have a great Hogmanay ahead. 🙂

I tried all the solutions you suggested:

1. Troubleshooter:

did that (same as if I just clicked on the sound icon itself). Troubleshooter ran, said to have made some changes, but still “no device installed”

2. Check for a disabled sound device: 

for playback and recording it reads “no audio devices are installed”

Which did not allow for the other steps.

As for the link:

Method 1 (troubleshooting Hardware and Devices)

same as with the audio: troubleshooter ran, but no effect.

Method 2 (update Display adaptor driver)

this driver, as many others, is only to be found as a ghost device. Updating was said to be not necessary (IIRC, the MS support already reinstalled the Intel drivers)

I never checked this before, of course, but it seems strange to me that so many of the items in the Device Manager should be ghost devices now.

Also, it should be said that I deleted the HID compliant touchscreen driver, and I cannot find it online.

To me it seems as if a lot of drivers are suddenly being "ghostified" by the last Windows 8.1 update.

HP Recommended

Hi @Earonn,

I read and reviewed the post comprehensively. Awesome troubleshooting. Kudos to you for a job well done.

Please visit this link and update the latest chipset, audio and video drivers: http://hp.com/drivers Please follow the on-screen instructions. A bios update is required but as you are hesitant to do it, please update the rest, if they are available.

Then visit this li k for further troubleshooting for Touchscreen issues: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03488148

For audio issues try this link out: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207095

If nothing resolves the issue then please roll back the operating system to its previous version by performing a system recovery which is found in the audio troubleshooter link.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this pans out. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello David,

thanks for your suggestions.

I updated audio, video and chipset drivers. I received the message that the Smart Display couldn't be found several times.

To finish the update process, I performed a hard reset.

Still the same.

The measures in the links likewise did not work.

A recovery to a former Windows status is not possible, since for some reason my Windows version is one of those which did not create recovery points automatically (I didn't know this could happen, so I never checked it).

Before I reset Windows to factory settings, I would like to ask some questions:

1. If the HID compliant touchscreen driver cannot be reinstalled automatically through a hard reset, how likely is it that it wouldn't be reinstalled even through a Windows factory reset?

2. Wouldn't it be possible to reinstall at least this driver manually (for which I would need a download link, as the driver is nowhere to be found online)?

3. I would prefer to update the BIOS first, as it seems strange to me that I have so many ghost devices. Also, the MS support guessed that the problem could be a general discrepancy between the latest Windows update and the installed software - in which case the problem might be solved directly after the reset, but would come up again as soon as I install all necessary Windows updates.

As said before, I once had the BIOS updated by the HP support manager that came preinstalled on my netbook, which led to problems relating to nonexistant BitLocker. Back then, I contacted your support as well, and your colleage immediately told me what changes to make to the BIOS to have the netbook run again. So, could you check for this solution? I would then perform the update and in case I run into the same problem again, I would know what to do.

Thanks again for your help and patience. If there is any information you need, please let me know.

HP Recommended

@Earonn

Happy New Year to you! Thanks for replying. 🙂

You may try the below steps to install the HID-compliant touch screen driver:

• In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

• Click Action on the top of the Windows.

• Select Scan for hardware change.

• The system should reinstall the HID-compliant touch screen under Human Interface Devices

• Restart the laptop.

To update the BIOS, you may visit this link: www.hp.com/drivers. I could have sent you the BIOS link but I need to know the exact model no. of the laptop. This link will help you locate the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.

Also, I would like to know if the hardware test was run on the touchscreen as mentioned in the previous posts.

Hope this helps. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello Kazi,

Happy New Year! 🙂 

And thanks for your help

I performed the scan for hardware change in the Device Manager.

Nothing was installed. I checked even the hidden/ ghost devices, but no HID compliant touchscreen driver.

As for the BIOS update: I found the update, but as mentioned in an earlier post I get a message that this would influence the Bitlocker on the computer and that I should make sure that I've got the Bitlocker's code ready. I have no Bitlocker, this is something that came up a year ago when the HP support tool updated my BIOS, and it completely locked my Netbook. Back then, a colleague of yours guided me through the necessary changes in the BIOS to access the computer again. I am afraid that this will happen again.

Therefore, before I update the BIOS or reset the netbook to factory settings, I would need to be sure that I can solve these BIOS problems.

If by hardware test you mean the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI, yeah, I did that and it worked fine - the touchscreen function worked on that. Sorry for forgetting to mention this.

Don't know if this helps, but I also cannot change the brightness any more.

Kind regards,

Christine

HP Recommended

@Earonn

You're welcome. 🙂 Thanks for replying with the information.

If the suggested BIOS is going to enable to BitLocker thing then let's park this idea for a while. Secondly, if the hardware test passed on the touchscreen then this is purely a software issue. If you could let me know the exact model no. of the laptop then I could check for any specific driver updates. This link will help you locate the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l.

I will wait for your response. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hi Kazi,

thanks for the reassuring reply. I really appreciate all the effort you and your colleagues put into my case.

fn+esc doesn't provide a model number, but so far the product number worked on your website to identify my netbook.

It's

M4S71EA#ABU

Additionally: BIOS is F.05-08/03/2015

Kind regards,

Christine

HP Recommended

Add: This is what your colleage told me to do last time when the BIOS update triggered a "Bitlocker" that was never installed in the first place:

First shut down the Laptop, by pressing the power button for 10-15 seconds
1. You have to Power ON the Laptop
2. Keep tapping F10 key ( You can find this key on the top left corner of the keyboard)
3. Then you can find BIOS SETUP UTILITY
4. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
5. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

After that you could restart the PC again by shutting it down and starting back normally.

Link for your reference on the BIOS Menu - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207095

and your case number for reference would be 3022082129.

Sounds to me as if this had just undone the update, is that correct?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.