Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am currently using a HP notebook (Pavilion dv6t-7000) which runs Windows 7. A few days ago, I accidentally unplugged the charger from the electrical outlet, causing my notebook to shut off. When I turned it back on, the display resolution was set very low and the window themes seemed to have changed. I set the resolution back to normal, but noticed that I couldn't get my notebook to enter sleep or hibernation mode. I attempted to induce it through the Command Prompt, but was given an error message saying that vgasave was preventing my computer from sleeping. I tried restarting in safe mode and then restarting again, but nothing changed. I also tried updating the display adapter as well as the  BIOS, but that didn't work either. In the device manager, under "Display adapters", I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000; the Intel adapter's icon has a small error icon that looks like an upside-down yield sign with an exclamation point. Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix this? Thank you :]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi CobaltArrow, welcome to the HP Forums. To recover the drivers for the graphics adapter, you can first restore the original graphics drivers using this method: Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)

After that, the device manager should be free of errors. If not, remove the items that have errors and restart the computer. If they return with errors again, you might have to try a complete HP Recovery to verify that it is not a hardware issue.

If there are no errors, proceed to install the updated graphics drivers in this order:
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
NVIDIA High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Let me know how it turns out.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi CobaltArrow, welcome to the HP Forums. To recover the drivers for the graphics adapter, you can first restore the original graphics drivers using this method: Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7)

After that, the device manager should be free of errors. If not, remove the items that have errors and restart the computer. If they return with errors again, you might have to try a complete HP Recovery to verify that it is not a hardware issue.

If there are no errors, proceed to install the updated graphics drivers in this order:
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
NVIDIA High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

Let me know how it turns out.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

At first, the Recovery Manager kept giving me an error message when I tried to restore the original graphics driver. But, when I uninstalled the driver first and then ran the Recovery Manager, it installed perfectly. Thank you for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.