Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Paul

Maybe I should try these variants which are OS specific

Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter

HP Recommended

Sure, you can try the latest one.

I still don't get why the original one I posted didn't work...

You are the first person that posted back and said the driver didn't fix the connection issue.

But I guess there is a first time for everything.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

. I still don't get why the original one I posted didn't work...

You are the first person that posted back and said the driver didn't fix the connection issue.

-----------------------------------------

I do not have a connection issue.  I have a compatibility issue.

WEP works great.  WEP connects great.  WPA/WPA2 w PSK is not compatible. 

If I had a connection issue than WEP would not connect.  IMHO

HP Recommended

Well, you see it your way, and I'll see it my way.

Your card supports WPA2 Personal with AES encryption.

When you set that security, the card does not connect.

Ergo, I see it as a connection issue.

Anyway, I have offered the only suggestion I know of, and provided the latest drivers for you.

Since the driver I posted didn't work, I'm sorry that I am unable to provide a solution for you.

Good luck. I hope you can find a solution to the problem. I know how frustrating that can be.

HP Recommended

So sorry for the confusion. I had the exact same problem (Wifi on my Compaq Presario not working with Belkin router because its running on Vista). And, I was at the edge of giving up after trying umpteen solutions from many different forums until I saw Paul's fix suggestion. It must be a mere coincidence that my name is also TIA. 🙂

Anyway, mine was Atheros AR5007 driver in Presario CQ60 and all I did was run the .exe and then restarted my laptop. This fix seemed to have done the trick. Hopefully the alternative fix will work for you. Best of luck!

HP Recommended

And just to add on.. My wifi also worked absolutely fine on WEP setting and when I change it to WPA2-PSK/AES, it just wouldnt connect to Internet. It will just show Local or Limited connectivity. What I did was to change the router security settings back to WPA2-PSK/AES and make sure I didn't hard-code any IP address under TCP-IP IP4v. I ran the .exe link Paul shared and restarted my laptop. It showed AR9547 somewhere during the installation of the fix but I just waited until installation completed. And make sure to remove the wireless network you connected thru WEP and re-add it after you changed your setting to WPA2. Hope this helps too..

HP Recommended

Hello sm09

Thanks much for chiming in - again... :generic:

Which Compaq Presario CQ60 do you have.  

I'm curious if your product support page offers an AR5700 update.

search results Compaq Presario CQ60 drivers

Please explain << make sure I didn't hard-code any IP address under TCP-IP IP4v >>

Please understand... I have no issues with what Paul offered or with what you offer.

I'm very grateful for your help.

Just that every time HP Support instructed me to install an spxxxxx.  It always made my system worse.

This was when my machine was under warranty.  HP Support was very quick to throw spxxxx's at me.

After the second destructive System Recovery.  I became much more questioning regarding HP Support and I started making image backups.  :Wink:

I have no doc that my Compaq A931NR ~ Atheros AR5007 WiFi Adapter supports WPA2 Personal with AES encryption.  Based upon negative past experience w HP Support.  I've become much more cautious.   

Thank you

Respectfully submitted

bjm

HP Recommended

Mine is Presario CQ60-211DX. I'm not sure if the support page offers any such update.

What I meant by that is : Some ppl(like myself) tend to hardcode the router's ip and dns under TCPIP > IP4v if the computer is not able to "Obtain an IP address automatically". This is available under Wireless networks > Properties settings.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Let's take this from the top again...

I know for a fact that you can get your wireless card to work with your Belkin router. sm09 and others have been able to get the very same card to work on theirs.  I have every confidence you can too.  :generic:

No one more than I do (other than you perhaps), wants you to be able to connect to the internet as you had expected to in the first place.

The devil lies in the details.

Here is what I recommend...

1. Download this driver and remember where you saved it. Do not install it just yet.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-99392-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

2.. Go to your network and sharing center, and disconnect from your current wireless connection.

3.. Go to your device manager, click on the network adapters section, then right click on your Atheros wireless adapter.

4. Select, uninstall, and then if there is a box to check that says unistall drivers, check that box.

5. Restart the notebook.

a. It will detect the wireless card again, and may install drivers.  If it did install drivers, please go back to that Atheros device in the device manager and click on the driver tab. Check the driver version and date.

b. If it is 9.2.0.444 of sometime in 2011, then the driver you need to get your adapter to work has been installed.

c. if the driver is a different (earlier) date/version, now install the file you downloaded above. After installation go back there, and check to see that version  9.2.0.444 is installed now. It should have

6. If the wireless card it doesn't install when you restart the notebook, now install the file you downloaded above, and once again check to make sure version 9.2.0.444 is installed.

7. Go back to your network and sharing center and set up your wireless connection as you intended.  WPA2-Personal - AES.

8. Cross your fingers...

Paul

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Let's take this from the top again...

OK,  you're the Professor.    Thanks for your detailed guide.

Over the weekend I'll save an image backup and give your detailed instructions a try.

At some point (just my nature) I would sure like to understand why there are so many variants and so many sp's for the same AR5007.  My rational is the sp is solely applicable to the specific product that has the specific Adapter.  Just the way my non-geek mind works.   If AR5007 was universally up-dateable than every computer regardless of OS / platform or other variables would use the same update spxxxxx.  Just the way my thought process works.  Why would HP bother with 100's of different sp's when one will do.   HP Support as I stated previously has not done anything to earn my confidence. 

Granted, the Discussion Boards are user to user and I have perhaps not given the Discussion Boards a fair, unbiased chance.....  

Fingers crossed that I'll have better luck with Discussion Boards and the Professor.  😉

Will post back asap

Regards

bjm_-_   ( bjm )

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.