Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Well, I finally got it to work somewhat. I had to go into my router settings and reduce the top speed from 300 mbps to 54 mbps. 

However, I must say the range of this WiFi card is abysmal. True, our router is in the basement where the main computer is,  but on the first floor, we can barely get a signal and on the 2nd floor, nothing. With all our other devices (including the Belkin USB WiFi dongle), we get strong signals throughout the house and maintain connectivity without a hitch.

Oh well. At least it works, but I guess I'll stick with the USB dongel to maintain a stronger signal.

HP Recommended

This is the cure!! Thank you so much, I was looking under internet problems, been using my smartphone hotspot for internet access, and trying to get home wifi internet to work in the process, finally got the right hook up, I told my ips the connection said Local and they told me not to worry about that and proceeded to tell me it was my laptop issue that everything was fine on there part...I checked this laptop up and down, and got internet access with my hotspot so didn't worry about it too much, but it's been about 2-3 weeks. Muahhhh!!!

HP Recommended

i need to fix my connections issues

HP Recommended

I was still having issues with my wifi connection on my brand new Probook 4540S Windows 8  OS Connect, disconnect behavior on at off at the pc's whim  🙂   very frustrating and annoying.

Today 4/11/2013 through Google Searching I found that there is a new 'Qualcomm Atheros driver' it is: Driver Version  10.0.0.221 

I downloaded it as a zip file, unzipped it to my desktop   in  device manager I clicked on 'update driver' , and manually selected the folder I unzipped the new driver into, it installed and my internet connection is now 'fixed'.  With a very strong connection  showing and no more disconnects.  It seems Qualcomm has addressed and fixed the problem.

I don't know where to put this info so if you could post it where it might help lots of other folks that would be great.

UPDATE:  My Probook 4540S running Windows 8 is now 'perfect', this new driver once installed has corrected my wifi, it has not once lost a connection and it shows full strength all the wifi bars are lit.  I now really love this laptop, it has been so frustrating, but now it is perfect.  I hope this helps others.

UPDATE:   4/15/13  Just to let you know, with this update (now 4 days installed) I have not once lost my wifi connection, and never receive the message, 'limited wifi' anymore, the connection remains full strength 'all 5 bars strong' even when I let the battery run low.  Here is the link:  http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=60&system=7    it's free and will solve your wifi problem, as it did mine.

HP Recommended
Thanks for link. Downloaded from link. Time will tell if this fixed my wireless connectivity problems.
HP Recommended

UPDATE:  4/25/13   My WiFi (Qualcomm Atheros AR9000 series vs. 10.0.0.221)  working 'flawlessly' all 5 bars lit  never dropping to lessor bars.  No disconnects and no messages that my wifi signal is weak.  Today I found an update on HP's site for my WiFi driver  vs.10.0.0.222  (it doesn't list my Probook 4540S but it shows  it is for the Qualcomm Atheros ARxxx series of adapters, I installed it and my WiFi is working perfectly and it seems to have a faster connection to the internet.  Noticably faster.   To find the new updated driver in the search bar of this HP site type in   Sp60923  and you will have all the info plus the new driver version.

One thing I had to do after downloading and installing this new driver, reboot your pc, then go to your device manager, click on 'Network Adapters', then click on "Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 b/g/n WiFi Adapter, scroll to 'Driver, click on 'UpDate Driver, then click on Browse my compiuter for driver software, click on 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, then click on 'Next.  A message comes up " Microsoft is updating your driver'

Now reboot your PC and it's 'perfect'.

HP Recommended
See my new 'update post', for a newer driver that I just installed today.

I Hope this helps you.
HP Recommended

Need help. My ProBook 4530s with the Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter is not connecting to my wireless. I've already try to fix it updating the BIOS and the Atheros Driver but is not working. Im sit right next to the moden but when I look for my connection, he finds all the neibohrs connections but doesnt found mine. What do I have to do?

HP Recommended

What is the driver version of your Atheros WIFI

and what BIOS do you have

HP Recommended

I'm going to have to watch this, because I have one of the listed wireless cards. Hopefully it gets fixed soon.

EDIT:

Now that I checked for driver updates, it's changed to AR9485

ANOTHER EDIT!:

uninstalled it, then when it installed itself (i suppose?) it was picking up all the signals it used to, but doesn't have the wifi password saved.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.