Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-p051us Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have installed a Netgear WiFi Range Extender N300 and my Pavilion 15-p051us Notebook will not connect to it. I get the error message "Cannot connect to this network." The extender is installed correctly because my iPhone will connect to it. The notebook will connect directly to the router but not to the extender. Is there some setting that needs to be changed to allow it to connect? Thanks for your help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi Jffhgg,

Did any discs come, with your NetGear Wi-Fi Range Extender N300?

Yours faithfully,

Ryan

If my solution has worked, please like this post click Kudos! to show appreciation.

I am NOT a HP employee, just a volunteer.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/
HP Recommended

No discs came with it. It installed with online assistance. Thanks for your reply.

HP Recommended

Hi Jffhgg,

No problem, is everything working now or not?

Yours faithfully,

Ryan

If my solution has worked, please like this post click Kudos! to show appreciation.

HP Recommended

That's where I completed the installation. The extender is installed correctly. The computer will not connect to it for some reason. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi Jffhgg,

I want you, to try the following:

Spoiler

To set your NETGEAR WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender:

1. Place your extender in the same room as your wireless router.
    Note: Close proximity to the main wireless router/access point is only required during the initial setup
  2. Plug the extender into an electric outlet and wait approximately one minute.
    The Status LED illuminates green.
  3. Use your computer or mobile device to scan for wireless networks. Connect to the NETGEAR_EXT(SSID) wireless network.
    Note: NETGEAR_EXT is the default name of your extender wireless network and by default it is unsecured. If you cannot see the default name NETGEAR_EXT, restore your extender to factory default settings by pressing the reset button until the Status LED flashes. 

After the wireless connection between the computer/mobile device and the extender is established, the PC to Extender LED    illuminates green.
  4. Open a web browser from the same computer or mobile device.
    The browser takes you directly to NETGEAR Smart Wizard setup.
    Note:If you are not automatically directed to NETGEAR Smart Wizard, launch an internet browser then type mywifiext.net orwww.mywifiext.com in the address field of the browser. You can also try typing 192.168.1.250 in the address bar to access the extender setup but this requires setting a static IP on your wireless adapter.

Enter admin for the user name and password for the password.
  5. Select your existing wireless network and click the Continue
  6. Type the network passphrase (also called password or security key) in the Passphrasefield and click Continue.
  7. Type the name (SSID) for your wireless extender network in the 4GHz Network Name (SSID)field and click Continue.
    The Wi-Fi extender settings are applied.
    Note: You can use the same security settings as your existing network by selecting the Use the same security and passphrase as those for the existing network check box.
  8. Scan for wireless networks on your mobile device or computer and connect to the extender's newly created wireless network.
    Note:You may repeat this step for your other wireless devices.
  9. Select the My wireless devices are connected to the Extender networkcheck box and click Continue.
  10. Unplug the Wi-Fi extender and move it to a new location closer to the area with a poor Wi-Fi signal.
    Make sure that the location you choose is still within the range of your main Wi-Fi router network. Once the extender goes out of range of the main router wireless network, the extender will lose its internet access. For more information, see Where should I place my NETGEAR Extender?
  11. Plug the Wi-Fi extender into an electrical outlet and wait for 60 seconds.
    The Status LED illuminates green.
    Use the Link Rate LED to help you choose a spot where the Wi-Fi extender-to-router connection is optimal. 

If that didn't work, try this:

Spoiler

Configure the WN3000RP Range Extender using a wireless computer
This article will guide you on how to setup the WN3000RP using a wireless computer.

Note: If your extender was already working before but you need to reinstall the it, perform a reset on the extender and follow the steps in this article to set it up again.

Spoiler

To configure the WN3000RP:

Spoiler

Note: NETGEAR recommends that you bring the device into the same room as your wireless router during initial setup. After the setup is complete and verified as having a working connection to your wireless router, move the extender to its intended location.

1. Using a wireless-enabled device, scan for the wireless network and join the NETGEAR_EXT network.

No password is required.

2. Open a browser window from the same computer. 

Smart Wizard launches. If it does not, navigate to www.mywifiext.net.
  3. Select a language and click Continue.

Smart Wizard searches for existing wireless networks within its range.

When the search is complete, a list of wireless networks within range displays.

1. Select the name of your existing wireless network that you want to extend and click Continue.

2. Enter the security key or passphrase for your wireless network and click Continue.

(Optional) To keep the same wireless settings for the extender as the existing network, select the check box.
  3. Click Continue

The Smart Wizard takes approximately two minutes to connect to the existing wireless network.

After the extender connects to the existing wireless network, the following message displays:

1. Click OK.

Smart Wizard displays the extender wireless settings details.

Use a wireless device to join the extender wireless network.

Yours faithfully,

Ryan 

HP Recommended

Ryan,

I appreciate you helping me out here. The problem is not in installing the extender. It's that the computer won't connect to it. i think the problem according to a Netgear help page I found is I need to configure Access Control or MAC filtering on my router so that the computer recognizes it. Do you have any idea how to do this? I have a Realtek routher TG790. I appreciate any help you could give me.

Jeff

HP Recommended

Since my last reply, I was able to determine that MAC filtering is disabled on my router so that's not the issue. I'm searching the Netgear help to see if I can find a solution. Thanks  for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.