Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Sure hope you can help me. Problem is with HP Laptop dv9815nr..Using Vista
I have a Netgear Wireless Connection. The connection is hot, active or whatever one might call it. But when I try to open a web site in Google Chrome or IE or Firefox I keep getting Error 105 /net: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED The server could not be found. So I believe the problem is with a software setting in the machine.
I've seen any number of solutions at Google.com/support/forum. And I've tried a number of them. But so far I'm between a rock and a hard spot. Nothing allows me to access the Net thru the browsers when in "Wireless Mode". 
I can connect when using the Ethernet Cable. So Any help is truly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Loy Banks
Pueblo West, CO

Loy Banks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well I have some bad news and some good news. 🙂

Your latest suggestions didn't solve the problem. But, the good news is at the bottom of that link page was an advertisement for automatic updating of a machine's drivers. Now we've both heard of such programs, maybe using them. Me, I've used the free one for aps from CNET. But this one specifically showed Drivers. That got me interested. So I downloaded it and bought it. Or them! There were two programs. Okay my thought are getting off target. An old man is allowed that.

Anyhow I had checked on updates for the Network Drivers previously during this issue of no wireless connection. Each time I had tried without any positive results. Meaning No Updates were needed. But this time, Thank You Lord!, this Paretologic DriverCure did work. It took a couple determined tries, but on the second attempt it appears We Have Overcome! I didn't have the Ethernet Cable plugged in, and when I rebooted Glory Be it automatically connected to the Net...Wirelessly. If that's a word. 🙂

Curiously my friend, at that point in time, I hadn't removed the Free DNS Numbers from the configuration, so that's what is being used to connect to the Net. So in one way "your" work on this is working, if you get my drift. That was your input for good output!

Another really curious thing is, in this morning's email I finally received a reply from Qwest (ISP) concerning this same problem. Lord only knows how many days that took. For your own edification and knowledge I'm copying below what they recommended. I'm not going to use this now, but keep it in reserve for later. But hope I never have this issue again. 

My sincerest thanks to you for all the work you've done. It is sincerely appreciated.

Here is the message from Qwest.....

Hello,

In an attempt to resolve your DNS issues we suggest that you hard code the TCP/IP settings using the information below.

Follow this link and it will provide you with screenshots on how to hard code the TCP/IP settings.

Windows XP: How to Add/Remove a Static IP Address in TCP/IP

http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/opsystems/pdf/15671_WinXP_Network_AddRemStatIPinTCPIP.pdf

You will note that the actual fields where you enter the IP information are blank.  Please enter the following IP addresses in their respective fields.  One quick note: when you only have one digit to enter like in field 3, in order to go to the 4th field you will need to press the right arrow key on the keyboard to jump to the 4th field.

IP Address: 192.168.0.33
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS 1: 205.171.3.65
DNS 2: 205.171.2.65

Thank you,

Craig
Qwest Internet Solutions 
Boise, Idaho Support Center

Loy Banks

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi,

While trying to use the wireless connection, click the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Into the prompt, type the following commands hitting enter after each one.  Make sure to include the spaces in the commands where shown.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

netsh winsock reset

Restart the PC to see if this has helped the issue.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Sorry my friend, but that did not do it. I ran the command lines as instructed, then rebooted, but still no internet access thru the wireless. 

As I said earlier the machine is connected to the Internet, as shown by the Connect Box. But it won't access pages on the Net.

So I still need some help. Many thanks to all.

Loy Banks

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

It may be worth trying to change the DNS servers to see if this helps.  On the link below is a guide on how to do this.

http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_vista.shtml

Important Notes:

Step 4 requires you to right click on Local Area Connection to bring up the menu shown in the diagram.

When you get to step 6, ignore the suggested DNS Addresses and enter these Addresses in the bottom Two boxes

208.67.220.220                                   ( These addresses belong to Open DNS and are perfectly safe to use )

Remember to click ok in this window and subsequent windows to save these changes.  Restart the PC and check whether this has solved the issue.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Sorry my friend, this didn't work either. I followed instructions, then unplugged the Ethernet Cable...... but the "wireless" connection still didn't allow Internet access. Got me totally bamboozled.

You know, I'm not new to computers by any means, but unfortunately I've never studied Wireless to any degree, so most of this wireless science or technology is foreign to me.

Going to the Connect Box shows me that we are connected to my NETGEAR Modem or ADSL Router. My two other Desktop machines , which are Ethernet connected work just fine on the Net connected to the same modem. As you know right now I'm also using the Ethernet Cable to connect this Laptop machine, as the Wireless from this machine isn't working. When testing if the Wireless is working I unplug the Ethernet. I jsut wanted to recap what I'm doing.

When I go the Network and Sharing Center I see the Ethernet Cable connection is identified as a Public Network..but when I look at the Wireless, it always shows Unidentified Network. Both are Public! WHY...would it be Unidentified?? Is there something wrong with this?

So I'm still between that rock and hard place. Any other ideas my friend? Thanks so much for all the help.

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi,

With the laptop just connected wirelessly, go to the Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, click on Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane and right-click the wireless network and select Remove.  If there is more than one entry and you only ever connect at home, repeat the procedure for any other networks listed here.

Restart the PC.

Follow the first part of the guide on the link below to recreate your wireless connection.

http://www.watchingthenet.com/windows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network.html

After setting this up, see if you can now connect properly.  If you are still getting this error, repeat the steps below to assign a different DNS Server.  This must be done while connected wirelessly - do not plug in the ethernet cable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_vista.shtml

Important Notes:

Step 4 requires you to right click on Local Area Connection to bring up the menu shown in the diagram.

When you get to step 6, ignore the suggested DNS Addresses and enter these Addresses in the bottom Two boxes

208.67.220.220                                   ( These addresses belong to Open DNS and are perfectly safe to use )

Remember to click ok in this window and subsequent windows to save these changes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, restart the PC and check whether you can connect ( fingers crossed!! )

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

After following your instructions (fingers and legs crossed) right down the line completely I must report NO SUCCESS!

**bleep** it, this is really getting frustrating for this 70 year old.

I welcome more ideas my friend. As always my thanks.

Loy Banks

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

I'm sure we will get this problem solved!!!

Could you tell me if you are using Windows Firewall or another third party firewall ( eg Norton, Avast etc ) on the laptop.

Also, if you look at the connection type on the two working Desktop PCs, do they show as Public or Private networks?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes I feel confident will shall overcome! Heard that some place.

I do use Norton's newest Anti version I believe called 360 supplied by my ISP, who is Qwest. However, this problem did exist, as I recall, a couple or so months ago, at that time I used the Free AVG on this machine.

The only firewall is Windows Firewall. I've even gone into the Firewall and made exceptions for Google Chrome, IE, Firefox, etc thinking that might help in allowing the Net through. But it didn't! I prefer and do use Chrome 95% of the time.

The two desktops both show...Network 3, Home Network. HHmmmm! Now that curious.

Why doesn't the Laptop show up as Network 3, Home Network?

The Laptop shows up as...Unidentified Network..Public network. Then at the top of page Network and Sharing where we have Loy-PC Laptop Name on the left...then connected thru "Multiple Networks...to the Internet Earth Sign on the right. Now this is with the Ethernet Cable plugged.

But why would even this show up as Multiple Networks? Then like I've said before the Connect Form shows we are connected to NETGEAR, but we can't connect to the Internet. Very strange indeed my friend. 

I'm waiting to hear from you. Thanks.

Loy Banks
HP Recommended

Hi Loy,

Just a couple more questions.

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and launch Device Manager.  Scroll down to Network Adapters and click the + sign to open up the list of devices.  Could you post back with the devices listed here.

Also could you post back with the Model No. of the NetGear Router.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.