Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8570p Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

The SSD failed with BSoD. Replaced with new SSD. Reinstalled the Windows 7 Pro 64-bit OS (fresh install). After struggling to find appropriate drivers on the HP site, device manager no longer shows any device errors. However, I am unable to connect to the local LAN. It says there are no connections available which of course is not true. A workstation in the same room is connected wirelessly to my dual-band router as are several other workstations even further away from the router.

The WiFi on/off button is always illuminated and will not turn off, which seems strange. Of course, I want it on. The wireless icon in the tray shows blank bars with a red X.

What drivers/software am I missing, and where can I find the correct files?

P/N:    C6Z59UT#ABA

PCID:  A1029D1103

Dennis, aka "d2b"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is an explanation of what the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter is and how it can be used at the following URL.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/what-is-microsoft-virtual-wifi-miniport-adapter/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Have you looked in the Device Manager and expanded the network device section to see if there is a wireless network device present with an installed driver?

Start the notebook and immediately tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

Press F1 for system information. Post theWLAN  FCC ID here. ( look near the botom of the list)

Once you have done that, you can Press Esc and  enter to continue the startup of the notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

No wireless device shows up in the network device section of the device manager. There are two Intel devices shown:

Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Intel Centrino Advanced N-6205

Then there's this:

WLAN FCC ID:  PD962205ANH

BLUETOOTH FCC ID:  QDS-BRCM1043

HP Recommended

The following driver from Intel for your WLAN device should help.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25510/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windo...

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem. The troubleshooter in Windows 7 says that the wireless is turned off. The button remains lighted the entire time. Pressing the button does nothing. The "signal strength" display in the tray still shows grey bars wtih a red X in front of them.

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2 items were added to the Network Adapter items in the Device Manager.

For what it's worth, this unit is still under warranty until mid-February, 2016.

Is it possible that the WiFi hardware was damaged when the SSD failed?

This notebook is of no use to me without a WiFi interface, so it is critical that the problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Have you checked in the Device Manager to see if the wifi adapter is enabled?

HP Recommended

All four items in the Network Adapters section in device manager are said to be 'working properly.'  I unchecked the boxes in Power Management to ensure that power management was unable to turn off the network adapters to save energy.

After rebooting, there still only only grey bars with the red X when in a signal-rich environment.

HP Recommended

Uninstalled the ProSet software and drivers and reinstalled drivers only. No change.

HP Recommended

Try using the PC Hardware Diagnostics component test section and test the wifi adapter.

The latest version of the PC Hardware Diagnostics has a wifi test. Use the following link to download it, save it to usb and install it on the notebook.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

HP Recommended

Downloaded and installed....or tried to install...the diagnostic application. The progress bar halted at about 2/3 of the way to the right. It's been about 15-20 minutes, unreasonably long of course. What now?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.