Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I've recently purchased this notebook which came with Windows 8, since I loathed this OS I've wiped it off and installed Windows 7 64 bits.

I've installed every driver needed directly from the manufacturers having retrieved the components specs thru PCI VEN_ID and DEV_ID. Everything is correctly installed. But the wireless adapter is giving me some problems, that is: the connection silently drops every few minutes.

The laptop is really close to my router which is just under my desk and I always see 5 bars of signal strength. My router uses 802.11b protocol.

I've tried changing between static IPs and DHCP assigned ones, changing the router transmission channel, disabling "n" mode on the wireless adapter, reinstalling the drivers, disabling NetBIOS services. Nothing seems to solve the problem.

The drivers I'm using come from here:

http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_downloads/01_windows.php

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I've noticed a Windows Update concerning the wireless adapter just came thru this morning: now the driver version is 5.0.9.0 and the connection seems stable: it's been running for a few hours now. It seems rather strange that the windows' driver is more up to date than the manufacturer's driver...

EDIT 28/05/2013: this update seems to have solved the problem. No further issues. Connection very stable even at distance.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Few things to do on this, Please uninstall any existing bluetooth driver and wireless drivers from add remove program.

1) Install Ralink WIFI drivers

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58586.exe

2) Bluetooth Driver from here.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp58501-59000/sp58515.exe

3) update windows.

Good Luck !!!!

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

The unit is designed for Win 8 and there is no official Ralink WLAN driver released for this product. I tried to find one driver released on other platform with similar modules as follows. Probably you can try it on your unit.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61409.exe

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello ,

What is the model of your router?

I ask because there was an issue with Ralink and some Comcast routers.

Also - what is the version of the Ralink driver you downloaded?

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
HP Recommended

My router is a Siemens RTA300W (old stuff, but working: I have another notebook linked to it).

Driver: follow the link in my original post. Second entry, it says 5.0.5.0.

HP Recommended

I've noticed a Windows Update concerning the wireless adapter just came thru this morning: now the driver version is 5.0.9.0 and the connection seems stable: it's been running for a few hours now. It seems rather strange that the windows' driver is more up to date than the manufacturer's driver...

EDIT 28/05/2013: this update seems to have solved the problem. No further issues. Connection very stable even at distance.

HP Recommended

hello, i've had my HP Pavilion desktop for awhile like about 6 months and my wifi has randomly disconnected the Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter shows a Exclamation Mark on it. ive try updating ive tried everything could someone help

HP Recommended
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52) also what it says
HP Recommended

Try to do what I did:

1. wipe off the wireless drivers;

2. use cabled network to have a stable connection;

3. install manufacturer's drivers (link in the first post, version 5.0.5.0);

4. run windows update (it should update your drivers to version 5.0.9.0);

I had no issues since the update. Hope this helps, bye.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.