Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

network wireless adapter .... easy and quick works everytime

HP Recommended

DO NOT start unistalling updates or removing hardware etc, I justr had this issue called HP Support and thier only advise was to back up files and image then do a complete restore! I did ask If I loos my installed software packages in the process what was the advice, I was advised to contact all the software providers etc!!! So instead I thought I would OPEN THE DEVICE MANAGER FROM THE CONTROL PANEL, THEN I CLICKED THE SCREEN WITH THE MAGNIFYING GLASS (SCNA FOR HARDWARE CHANGES) HEY PRESTO THE WIRELESS ADAPTER DRIVER POPPED BACK INTO THE NETWORK ADAPTERS FOLDER, SO i ROLLED BACK THE DRIVER FROM THE PROPERTIES SECTION WITHIN THE DRIVER CONTROL WINDOW AND ALL REMAINS WELL HOPE THIS HELPS

HP Recommended

My fix doesn't always seem to work, so I'm going to try yours in a second. When I close the lid, the card seems to fail on a regular basis.

Also, I've discovered that if I put my USB wireless adapter in, sometimes THAT fixes it.

I think the computer is getting old, and that's why the card is flaking more and more. It's always done it every once in a long while, but not to the extent it does now.

Oh well, better than my sister's Pavillion which just up and completely died on her. It's been pretty solid, other than the wireless card, thus far.

Now to back it up, since I just jinxed myself. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my dv6000. Mine has no internal microphones, but has a remote control transmitter in the PCI socket on the right side. OS is Windows XP Media Center addition.

There is no provision in the BIOS to recognize and enable the WiFi card, which is installed in it's connector on the mobo, complete with the antenna cables attached. I've loaded the latest BIOS & chipset versions. I've also installed the Wifi Helper software.

Neither the Wifi switch on the front edge or the Fn key combo have any effect. WiFi light stays orange.

I finally bought one of Monoprice.com's mini-USB wireless N adapters to solve the issue. $8.00 for a fine quality device. :generic:

Still, I find this to be damned annoying.:smileymad:

I'll stick with Dell from now on.

HP Recommended

Had same problem. Completely reloaded Vista, and all service packs, and BIOS. Still did not work. Went to BestBuy and bought Belkin USB N150 wireless adapter for $29. Popped in the software disk (included), plugged in the usb adapter and I am back in business. The orange light remains on all the time on the front of my 6000 series laptop, but the usb adapter works in place of the internal Broadcom adapter. The problem with many of the 6000 series hp laptops is that the Broadcom internal wireless card loses its interface with the motherboard, due to a motherboard failure. The problem is NOT in the Broadcon wireless adapter card inside the computer. Don't waste time with this problem. Get the USB adapter, connect to your wireless network, and ignore the orange light on the laptop !!!

HP Recommended

That's just what I did. The problem is that the WiFi socket gets it's power from the GPU, which apparently wasn't properly soldered on many of these motherboards. This can be fixed by a source I found on the Internet, but the cost is $125.00. The USB adapter is WAY cheaper.

@FairportPhil wrote:

Had same problem. Completely reloaded Vista, and all service packs, and BIOS. Still did not work. Went to BestBuy and bought Belkin USB N150 wireless adapter for $29. Popped in the software disk (included), plugged in the usb adapter and I am back in business. The orange light remains on all the time on the front of my 6000 series laptop, but the usb adapter works in place of the internal Broadcom adapter. The problem with many of the 6000 series hp laptops is that the Broadcom internal wireless card loses its interface with the motherboard, due to a motherboard failure. The problem is NOT in the Broadcon wireless adapter card inside the computer. Don't waste time with this problem. Get the USB adapter, connect to your wireless network, and ignore the orange light on the laptop !!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help that was a sure fire fix. 🙂

HP Recommended

i tried the remove battery with HP support on the phone.  we spent over 90 minutes removing batteries, wireless network cards, etc....still not functioning.

after one week of doing every system check under the sun, I do know that the driver for the wifi has disappeared and there does not seem to be a way to get it back.  My computer still thinks it has no network card...and, i put in a new network card to replace the one that apparently was/was not broken.

not happy...no computer!!

HP Recommended
I did exactly the same things before doing what I did. See my post above ^
HP Recommended

You are most likely missing the proper drivers. If nobody else has suggested this as the case, let me know and I can attempt to guide you to finding your drivers.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.