Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi

I just got a Pavillion g4-2368, with Windows 8.  I'm looking for a way to turn off the Bluetooth connection when I'm not using it, without luck so far.

In other HP laptops I have used, I had the HP Connection Manager or HP Wireless Assistant available for that exact task, but those machines used Windows XP or 7 installed. It seems none of those applications are available for Win 8. I installed the Wireless Assistant anyway, but it doesn't seem to work i the machine, as it doesn't detect any wireless adapter.

Is other any other way (other than enabling and disabling it from the Device Manager)? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Morgoth,

You can essentially turn off the Bluetooth by UNCHECKING the box that allows Bluetooth connections to your computer.

See the document below:

Using Bluetooth Devices (Windows 😎

When the box is UNCHECKED, Bluetooth devices are not allowed to connect to your computer.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi Morgoth,

You can essentially turn off the Bluetooth by UNCHECKING the box that allows Bluetooth connections to your computer.

See the document below:

Using Bluetooth Devices (Windows 😎

When the box is UNCHECKED, Bluetooth devices are not allowed to connect to your computer.

Year of the Snake 2013

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, Dragon-Fur

Actually, thanks to the guide you linked, I found more or less what I was looking for, although it's not clearly explained in the guide: in the second step, it ask the user to type the word "bluetooth" in the Search field. The second result in that search ("turn wireless communication on or off") took me to Configuration > wireless networks. And there it is a switch that allowed me to turn off the bluetooth or the wi-fi indepently.

The only drawback is that, as the Configuration is a "Charm", or whatever its silly name is,  I can't put these switches in the notification area of my taskbar (where they would be just one click away) as I did with my previous HP laptops.

No. Now I'll  have to follow a process of at least 5 steps to accomplish that simple task... but that's another matter completely, I'm sorry for the rant.

Bottom line, I found the solution for my question, at least as much as Windows 8 allows it, so thanks again

HP Recommended

Morgoth,

You are welcome.

Love Charms - easy to use and all that -- they can be the long way around, though.  Smiling.

Glad you have a Workaround...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure about this -- I am away from the home office so cannot test thoroughly:

Try / Consider:

Windows key + X > Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing > Change Adapater Settings >

Right Click on "View Bluetooth Devices" > Create ShortCut

Once you have the ShortCut created, you might be able to use "Disable" and "Enable" to control the Bluetooth

Meh.  Smiling.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

It doesn't seem to work... now that's a head-scratcher: I disabled the bluetooth connection from the location you suggested, then I tried to connect with the laptop with my cell phone... and it paired as usual!

I'm looking at the computer: It clearly says "Disabled" under the Bluetooth connections, but  I'm transferring files between it and my phone without problems.

I'll try and see if I can find a faster path to reach the "Wireless network" charm...

HP Recommended

Rats - wrong pathway, I guess.

There should be a way.   :generic:   I should think the Charms are only wrappers for the standard command sets.  I could well be wrong about that - I don't work for HP, Microsoft, or anyone else (retired IT) -- but to have rewritten the code for this action in Windows 8 doesn't make sense to me.  Smiling.

If I run across it, I'll post back.  I am curious...

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

just go to charms bar,change settings,pc & devices,there you will see blue tooth,,its switch,,just turn it off,,your done,,,its that easy,,,,,take care and god bless

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.