Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

About a week ago my web browsers stopped working.  I'm running Vista and I use FireFox.  I also have Internet Explorer but neither of them will load any web page when i go to them.  I know my connection is working because I can use any other program that requires internet.  I've been told that I have a virus.  I've ran Malwarebytes, RKill, Avast!, CCleaner, Advanced System Care, and I've tried a system restore but nothing has helped.  Anyone have any idea whats wrong or how I can fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the start menu.....All Program......Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Enter the command listed below seperately and hit return after each one.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

Now type exit and hit return.  Reboot your computer and see if this has worked.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the start menu.....All Program......Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  Enter the command listed below seperately and hit return after each one.

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat -R

nbtstat -RR

netsh int reset resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset

netsh winsock reset

Now type exit and hit return.  Reboot your computer and see if this has worked.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much.  It helped my problem right away though the commands nbstat -R and nbstat -RR were not recognized but all the others worked.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This solution did not work for me. I've had this laptop for 2 months, it's been returned for service & a network card replaced. I only have access to dial-up. The internet works but browser will not load pages.

Diagnosis indicates ' there might be a problem with one or more network adapters on this computer . Plug a cable into the network adapter "Local Area Connection"

I've reloaded Windows 7, twice and Windows Vista Ultimate. I can access the internet and pages load UNTIL I begin loading software. This computer was supposed to help me get my work done. It certainly is not helping me.

Is there a solution somewhere?

I've run Malwarebytes, Spyware Doctor, Eset Security - no threats, trojans or viruses have been found. I can't keep using my husband's computer. I'm having trouble getting an email address for HP support. This is a refurbished system--that should not matter. Please tell me this is not going to be a $1000 paperweight.

HP Recommended

I have a pavillion dv2945se, running on vista, and I have recently experienced the same problems.  I am connected to the network, but am unable to browse online.  I have played with my firewall settings to no success, and the command prompts have not fixed the problem.  This is very frustrating, Any ideas?

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions and Internet Explorer now works. Thank you. Why couldn't Microsoft have made a patch file to do this job? Or, why should you have this problem in the first place? No other businesses do get away with this level of quality.

HP Recommended
OMG this worked for me after two days of hell trying to get it to work... Thank you....
HP Recommended

This works!!  I have no idea why the problem occurred in the first place, but this reset worked.  Thank you HP Technician, whoever you are.

dbear

HP Recommended

Hi dbear,

You're welcome and glad it helped :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.