Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I was working on my HP laptop HP 2000 PC. Product number D1E8UA#ABA. Windows 8. There is a wifi key f12. This suddenly went red. If I press it, it just says airplane mode on/airplane mode off. I tried following the directions on HP support. I do not have the option to manually connect to a wireless connection. I do not have a wifi icon. And I don't know how I can put my routers IP address into the URL since I have no internet connection. Help. Please. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi thewaif99.

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your post, I am happy to help.

I understand your WiFi button informs you that you are in airplane mode and you do no have an icon.

Press the Windows key+C to open the charms

Click no the magnifying glass

Type in Airplane and click settings.

Than should open the Window where you can turn Airplane mode off.

Here is a Microsoft document on Why can't I connect to a network? that I think may assist you.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Well, that did indeed turn off airplane mode. However, I could do that by pressing the f12 all along. I have no internet connection. I don't know where my wifi went to. I don't know why I have no icon. I do not have the option to manually add the wireless network. My computer just tells me over and over to plug in an ethernet cord. I have been using wifi at my house for months without any issue. My other computers are working fine. The link you provided did not mention my issue.

HP Recommended

Hi  thewaif99,

I would suggest you open Device Manager and uninstall the WiFi  card and then scan for hardware changes.

Press Windows key +C to open charms

Type Device Manager in the search bar

Open Device Manager

Locate the Network interface and click on it to expand

Right click on the WiFi card and choose uninstall

Right click on the WiFi card and choose scan for hardware changes.

This should reinstall the card. 

If you are still unable to connect to a wireless network, you have the option to restore the system back to a date when you did have WiFi.  Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

Here is another document that may help. Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 😎. If none of this has helped, I would suggest you run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI to test for hardware issues.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hey good news for you, found a webpage from which i get rid of error yesterday, check this guide once, hope it may also helps you: How to Fix & Solve network adapter Error Issue

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.