Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey JimPas, 

I'm sorry you're running into this issue with dropped connections. Which driver version do you have currently? (Device Manager > Network Adapters > Qualcomm Atheros Wireless > Properties > Driver tab > version number)

Also could you give me the brand and model number of your router. I understand other devices may not be having issues with connecting to the network but there may be an issue with the network configuration and Windows 8. Once I have you router brand and model number, I can get you some more information on how to log in to your router and check which mode it is using. 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi AxshunJaxun,

My version # of the driver is 10.0.0.234 (3/11/2013).
I'm running Windows 7, not 8.  I'm using a Netgear WNR1000v3 wireless router.
I just downloaded & installed a firmware update - v.1.0.2.62_60.0.87NA.
This seems to have taken care of my connection being dropped since it hasn't happened since the update several days ago.

I do thank you for your reply to attempt to assist me.
Thanks again.
JimPas
HP Recommended

Great! I'm glad to hear the router firmware update resolved the issue! Usually these issues do come down to one update or another. Thanks for letting me know 🙂

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same WIFI adapter. My internet connection will just randomly drop connection and when it happens the modem doesn't even show up in the internet connection panel and poof it reappears and the laptops connects again. At first I thought it was the router so I replaced it with a Netgear N600 but the problem remained. Is there any way to go back to factory drivers for this adapter as I never used to have this problem! Thanks so much for any help with this.
HP Notebook dv7-4053cl
Windows 7 Premium
exact same WIFI adapter
Driver 9.2.0.480
Netgear N600 Wireless Router

HP Recommended

@MStewart40

I'm sorry you're running into this wireless issue. I was checking on your driver version. It looks like the proper version listed for your model is this one:

Atheros Wireless Driver version 9.20

Download and install that version. Restart if prompted and test it for a few hours (or however long it usually takes to drop) and let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Great I'm glad to hear that!

How strong/weak is your signal where you normally have the computer? Do you get the full 5 white bars? Or just a few?

HP Recommended

I have full bars on the internet access, it just completely disappears  once in a while the router doesn't even show up in the list of available connections. After I click trouble shoot problem it will re-appear and the laptop connects up again, but like I said in the earlier post it has gotten significantly better with the driver update. I originally thought the router was going bad so I replaced it that wasn't the issue, luckily I found this forum before I replaced the Wifi adapter which was next on the list lol!

HP Recommended

lol I definitely understand! It can be frustrating troubleshooting sometimes. I appreciate your patience and willingness to try though.

There's also another driver site that has legitimate drivers for Atheros cards. This link lists a later (the latest 3rd party) driver version for the AR9285.

Atheros AR9285 driver version 10.0.0.251

It is worth a try, since you can always uninstall it and go back to 9.20 if you need to. I've seen other customers try driver from that site before with no issues. If you decide to try it, let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

I never was able to get the driver download from the  Czech site, so much garbage on there with zip downloader and everything else it trying to load on your pc! But I still have really good news my pc hasn't lost connection since our last posts, I think you must have scared it with the threat of the Czech drivers lol! So I think you go it fixed and like I said before I can't thank you enough for your kind help and time on this!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.