Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hello admin, i use a hp pavilion dm 4, my bluetooth and wireless just suddenly stopped working, i've downloaded divers recommended drivers all to no avail. Please help me out. I've even formatted and re install my windows
HP Recommended

@MStewart40 

Another suggestion I just thought of is checking in Device Manager on the Power options for your wireless card. If you're still not having any issues with disconnects, you may just have a look at the following tab and not make any changes.

1. Open Device Manager

2. Expand Network adapters

3. Double-click on your wireless card

4. Click on the Power Management tab

5. If 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is checked, that may be why it was/is disconnecting after long periods of time or periods of idleness.

Like I said, if you're not having the disconnecting issue anymore, I wouldn't make any changes. If the disconnecting issue has come back at all, though, it may be worth a try to Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced Power Options also has a setting for the wireless card's functionality. 

1. Click Start and type Power. Click Power Options

2. Click 'Change plan settings' next to the selected power plan

3. Click 'Change Advanced Power Options' at the bottom

4. Scroll down to and expand 'Wireless Adapter Settings' and 'Power Saving Mode'

5. Make sure On battery and Plugged In are both set to 'Maximum Performance'

Just thought I would add those suggestions, just in case.

HP Recommended

@Zeenbayee 

I'm sorry you're running into this connection issue. I need to know exactly which Pavilion dm4 you have and which driver versions you have.

You can find your product number by press FN + ESC. Look for 'P/N' and also look for the BIOS version 'F.##'. Let me know what both of those are.

I'll also need to know your wireless card's brand, model and driver version number.

1. Click Start, Type 'device', Click Device Manager

2. Expand Network Adapters. In the items listed below Network Adapters, look for 'wireless', 'Wi-Fi', or '802.11'. On that same line will be your wireless card's brand and model. Let me know those. 

3. Then Double-click on that line. Click the Driver tab and let me know the version number listed there.

Also, have you had any changes recently? Installed new programs (antiviruses or other security software) or have you seen any updates come through recently?

Let me know if you have any questions on those steps 🙂

HP Recommended

It's been a couple weeks now with only a couple of disconnects so I am thrilled.Thanks so much for all your help!

HP Recommended

@MStewart40 

Great! Glad to hear it 🙂

Just wanted to check on it.

HP Recommended
@admin the required info are as follows...
Hp pavilion dm4 2000ea
P/N: LS721EA#ABU
Bios version: F.13
Wireless card brand: Qualcomm Atheros
Model: AR9285
Driver version: 3.0.0.130
thanks
HP Recommended

My wyfi just went off for no reason I have pressed the wyfi button on my HP laptop key board but no go, I am having trouble logging into my Ebay account, I can still get into my internet Ebay to look things over  but when I try and sign into my Ebay account to bye something I get a pop up saying Internet closed and yet I am still connected to the internet. Does not able to get wyfi have anything to do with this and what can I do about my wyFi.

HP Recommended

@Zeenbayee 

Thanks for providing that information! You've got a couple of updates (for your specific model)

Atheros Wireless driver version 9.20 - restart if prompted

and

BIOS version F.16 - During the installation, your computer will restart on its own. Allow it to restart and get back to the Desktop.

Once you've installed both of those, try your wireless connection and wireless button again. Let me know the results when you get a chance 🙂

HP Recommended

@jackaroo 

I'm sorry you're running into this connection issue. Try to go to a different page, other than ebay. Try going to www.msn.com,  www.google.com, and www.newegg.com. Do all of those pages load properly?

If not, what error message do you get? Please copy and paste the error message or take a screen shot and post it in your reply. How to take a screenshot and save it.

Also, you mentioned it gives you an error message, but you believe you're still connected to the internet. Do you still see 4-5 white bars on the wireless symbol in the System Tray? Like this:

WirelessSignalBars.jpg

HP Recommended

HI,

I had the same problem, and no need to try solving it

because the manufacturers didn't want to fix it

i bought a small cheap USB wi-fi ($5)

it's perfect

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.