Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Okay, after realizing that my HP Notebook's Qualcomm Atheros QCA 9565 does NOT have 5G capability I have a DIFFERENT issue/question:

I am on the 2.4ghz router with full signal and yet it only shows a connection speed of 72Mbps at the CARD when I run a status on it... And I am only 19 feet away from the router... When I run speedtest.net, It comes back at about 33Mbps Download on average...

I have no problems with our Phones connecting up (on either 2.4 or 5) - For THEM when I run speedtest I get around 50Mbps download (on 2.4 - I get about 150 on the 5G)...

So, is there some setting that is preventing it from connecting up at a speed faster than 72Mbps??  This card says that it's a 802.11 b/g/n after all... shouldn't it be getting 54-600 ??

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi@DJAlan,

Welcome to HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Very slow Wi-Fi speed on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

The speed what you have seems to be ideal for the card you have on the PC.

The following will also affect the speed on any network.

• Wi-Fi card
  • Router used
  • Internet service provider’s subscription
  • Compatibility of Wi-Fi card with Router
  • Architecture of the network set up
  • Driver version
  • Obstacles and much more
  •  

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks Resolv_S for your reply...

I am sorry to hear that my NEWER Laptops max speed is 72.2 as my (3 yr) OLDER laptop (Alienware) is able to achieve speeds DOUBLE that and can connect on 5G (so less interference as well)...

I am using a Technicolor AC (and B/G/N) router that has no problems with higher speed connections on both our phones as well as our older (AW) laptop, so configuration is probably just fine on that end.  Our ISP (TWC) plan is 200Mbps so that's not the issue either as we get speeds pretty close to max when tested via speedtest.net site.  In fact, I have even tested it on my phone connecting to a server in Germany and still got over 100Mbps average...

I really would like to step up the speed on this laptop as we use it to watch online videos as well as in-house file transfers of large amounts(and sizes) of files between systems.

Is there a recommended replacement wireless card/adapter for my HP laptop that would allow 5Ghz connections?

HP Recommended

Hi@DJAlan,

I thank you for the reply.

HP will not be able to provide any upgrade parts for any of its products, however, you can try a compatible upgrade locally and check if that improves the speed.

Hope it helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.