Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am using HP PAVILION 15-E015TX. i reset my windows 8 OS recently because of some corruption of data. after resetting the OS everything is reinstalled to its original state. But the Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter is not detecting the wifi which is worked properly before resetting the OS. when i run the troubleshoot option under HP SUPPORT ASSISTANT it shows a red mark while resetting the adapter. 

i want to know how can i fix it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

sat_m,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Before you make any changes, make sure you have a recent / new Restore Point created:

• Have you tried installing the driver from your computer's webpage?

Version (at writing): 5.0.37.0

Date: 2013-12-23

HP 15-e015tx - Ralink 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter Driver

Make sure your Chipset driver is up to date - then install / update the Ralink driver.

Take a look at other drivers to confirm they are at the version level you expect.

Click the Kudos Star!

It is a nice way to say “Thank You” for the help.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I too am experiencing the exact same problem with my HP Envy dv7. Have tried everything I can think of, with no success. I know its not the wireless routers because all the other devices are working perfectly fine. Until this gets resolved, I'm finding that the only way I can connect this machine to the internet is via the hard-wired ethernet cable. Also, I never had this problem before updating from Windows 8 to 8.1.  I hope someone out there can provide us with a solution, and fast!

HP Recommended

sat_m,

Welcome to the HP Forum.

Before you make any changes, make sure you have a recent / new Restore Point created:

• Have you tried installing the driver from your computer's webpage?

Version (at writing): 5.0.37.0

Date: 2013-12-23

HP 15-e015tx - Ralink 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN Adapter Driver

Make sure your Chipset driver is up to date - then install / update the Ralink driver.

Take a look at other drivers to confirm they are at the version level you expect.

Click the Kudos Star!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

After over an hour of troubleshooting this issue with the assistance of HP remote technician, HP believes that the actual Ralink wireless card itself is bad. They are sending me a replacement wireless card with instructions for replacing it. The technician inferred that the replacement will possibly look different than the one currently installed, which leads me to believe that the replacement will probably not be another Ralink card. And that might be good, because from all I've read so far on these forums, the Ralink seems to have a troubled history of performance. Hopefully it will not be terribly difficult to replace, but if the new one works well, it will be worth the inconvenience.

HP Recommended

Rats.

I hope the replacement card fixes the problem.  Over the years I have had just one bad network card -- and it drove me nuts tracking down that it was, indeed, a failed card.  :indifferent:

Good Luck - post back if you like and let us know the results!

Click the Kudos Star!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response. i just updated my adapter using LAN and the wifi is working good now.

HP Recommended

sat_m,

You are welcome - I am glad the update solved the issue for you.

Happy Computing!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Good news -- my issue has been resolved. I received the replacement wireless card, and it was very easy to replace. As it turns out, HP sent me an identical replacement card (Ralink -- I thought perhaps they'd send a different product, but not this time, anyway.) Once the hardware swap was made, my wifi functionality returned to its normal and usual operation. Its great to enjoy the wireless experience again! I was getting quite frustrated at only being able to get online with an ethernet cable, but happily that's a thing of the past. Thanks HP!

HP Recommended

Exellent!

Gotta love it when stuff just works.

Thanks for posting back and letting us know the final part of the puzzle.

Happy Computing.

Click the Kudos Star!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Brand new machine straight out of the box. Will not connect to home network. Using wpa2 TKIP on other devices but this Ralink adapter doesn't have TKIP option only AES. Changed the router to WPA + WPA AES. All devices connect except the HP laptop I just recieved. Any suggestions? I close to returning and look at a different brand of computer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.