Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This is the most pathetic effort I have seen for support Chrizzy. I read four pages of people trying to trouble shoot themselves for over a year and then you jump in and want us to gives "STARS" and whatever!!! Get real and get us some help!!! Do you realize how MANY HOURS have been wasted becuase HP put this piece of crap Ralink in???

Answers please!

HP Recommended

I have HP Pavilion g6-1d21dx Notebook PC, Wireless adapte is: Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n

I have TP-LINK TL-WR940N 300M Wireless N Router + TP-LINK TL-WA801N 300M Wireless N Access Point (works as Universal Repeater) bothe router & repeater works perfectly and there's no other networks confilct nearby... but there's no way to see and connect wirelessly except on Channel 10 although there's four devices (PC@wireless adapter, iPhone 4s, Samsung Galaxy II, HTC mobile) can connect on any channel I use.

Maybe if you try to change the wireless channel can help, I spend 6 hours tried everything, installed all the driver versions, but whatever I did this stupid Ralink deosn's see the wireless network unless on channel 10...

HP Recommended

Same problem here.  Tried multiple wireless routers & repeaters - WD and LinkSys.  Always intermittantly lose connection with mesage of "Limited" connectvity, but there is no Internet access when this happens.  Once I get the "Limited" message, I can disconnect, but system will never reconnect to the wireless network.  Only fix is to reboot - sometimes several times before it starts working again.  Using 2.4 on router/repeaters.  HP Envy stays connected for random periods - sometimes a couple of hours, sometimes 5 minutes.  Three other computers in house (Dell, Acer) work all the time.  Ralink driver is 5.0.25.0 and I cannot find a newer one.  Tried completely blowing away laptop and reloading OS, updates, etc. twice.  No changes.  All updates are current per HP and Microsoft.  We own 2 HP Envy dv6 laptops and the other one (identical) has same issues if at home.  Havenever successfully compleed a backup ot our WiFi NAS either.  I've owned several HPs over the years and my wife told me not to buy these.  She was right.  There are a ton of threads out there with people having the same issues.  Does anyone at HP care at all?

HP Recommended

@barbbonczek wrote:

I am using an Hp 2000 Notebook PC, and the wireless adapter that came installed on the computer is a Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter.  I have run the driver update tool, and it says that I have the most up to date driver installed.  I have also run the "Diagnose Problem" tool, and it says that there are no problems.  However, the computer constantly looses internet connection.  I assume it has something to do with the wireless adapter, because all of the other wireless devices in the house have no issues. The operating System is Windows 7.  I am somewhat tech savvy and can normally figure out issues by just playing with it for a while, but this one has me dumb founded, and its extremely annoying when you're trying to do something and you just loose connection and have to start all over again. Please help!!!

HP Recommended

I've had the same problem.  I went to a cheap USB adapter.  Works perfect.

I've also got another HP.  Different problem but same piss pour support.  Never another HP product.

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded my wireless router to a dual band wireless-n 600 Linksys E2500.  I then tested my Pavillion desktop transfer rate with a built-in Ralink RT5390 wifi adapter and was shocked at the low transfer rates (my laptop with a Centrino chip set was great).  I setup my router for a separate SSID for 5ghz and could not connect, later discovering that I have a 1x1 adapter that does not support 5ghz.  I was concerned, howeever, that my Rt5390 was not even connecting on the 2.5ghz SSID at wireless-n, so I changed my router setup to only send wireless-n signals instead of mixed.  As a consequence, now my Ralink adapter could not connect at all, even though Windows 7 said my driver was up to date for a "wireless-n adapter" (I believe it said 5.0.5.0 was the driver version).

After extensive Googling, I discovered that the "up to date' driver was a generic windows wireless adapter driver and not the specific Ralink RT5390 driver I needed.  I eventualy found this site, which allows you to select your Ralink wireless adapter (now owned by Medialink) and download the associated drivers (look at the downloads on the right side of the page):

http://www.mediatek.com/_en/01_products/04_pro.php?sn=1012

After selecting Windows and downloading/installing driver version 5.0.37.0 (dated 12/24/13), my desktop can now cannot via wireless-n and has sufficient data transfer rates.

HP Recommended

I tried this method and it still won't fix it. I used to have Verizon FiOS and my HP laptop would say not connected with a big X and then I switched to Xfinity and my laptop now says connections available even though I still have internet connection. I've tried everything. Please help!!

HP Recommended

Similar problems with a new Probook 450 G1. On the surface a good unit especially if you want Windows 7. However, I purchased one only to find I couldn't get reliable wireless connectivity - dropped connection at random intervals whilst a TP-Link dongle was rock solid. Lot's of reports on forums about problems with installed Ralink Mediatek wireless adapter so spent hours trying to get latest drivers/firmware to fix but to no avail.  Eventually discovered the wireless aerial was missing one of the wires - not just not connected, it wasn't there!!  Have spent hours with HP support who finally agreed to issue a DOA form so I can get a refund.  Not a pleasant experience.  May have been a one off unit but be warned.

Latest news - A reply to my post on Laptop Hardware forum  states that HP may have resorted to a 1-wire antenna connection on this model.  May be so but doesn't alter the fact that the unit fails to get a reliable connection.  Have pursued HP Support and they have issued me with a DOA authorisation which supplier has accepted and allows a replacement or refund.  Guess which one I'm taking!  Can't chance that a replacement would have the same problem. Request for compensation from HP UK for time wasted have, of course, been refused with the usual "sorry but replacement/refund is the limit of our responsibility to you our valuble customer".  I'll pursue trying to get an explanation of why the unit fails but don't hold your breath!

HP Recommended

I am truly disgusted with this subpar adapter in this HP laptop!  I have not been able to properly connect to wi-fi for over one year!! It drops off when I am near my Actiontec  MIW24 Rev. Irouter. I have done everything suggested. Why is it conflicting with the router? Now that I downloaded Windows 8.1 recently, it says "default gateway is not available." I am at the end of my rope! Why does HP install such garbage adapters in its products?  There are tons of complaints about this adapter!!! I need help NOW!!

HP Recommended

My HP Envy dv6 is way to new to simply throw in the trash.  However, its WiFi adapter issues are intollerable.  Similarly, there are ongling problems with my HP 8600 WiFi printer too.  I unloaded the RaLink driver and now use an external LinkSys USB adapter.  Absolutely no problems!!!!  I will buy no more HP products.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.