Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g series notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Unable to connect to the Internet via wifi modem from Xfinity. Laptop shows full connection to wifi, but keep getting "This page can't be displayed ". Xfinity tech sent over 2 hours trying to fix. Did a ip reset 5 times, check all possible internal issues with laptop. Unable to fix. Why would it clearly show I have Internet access, but unable to get any web pages to load up?
Worked great prior to issue showing up. A power loss of one second prior to this issue. Modem checks out perfectly. Smart phone can gain access to the Internet with no issues. Hope someone can help as this is a life line to wife on the Philippines at present fo sick family member.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @SailorJohn110 - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! I will be glad to be of your assistance!

I see that you are having issues while going online on your HP online even though it shows that you have internet access and other devices in the network are able to access the internet. Did you check possible issues with the browser? It could be possible that the browser that you are using to browse could be the cause of the issue.

Let’s start by completely resetting your browser. Follow the steps below and check:

To reset the Internet explorer:

1. Press the “Windows key” + “R” to get the “Run” window.
  2. Type “inetcpl.cpl” and press ok to get the internet explorer properties.
  3. Go to “Advanced” tab and select “Reset” option to completely reset the internet explorer.
  4. Now open the internet explorer and try browsing.

To reset Chrome:

1. At the top right, click More (Three horizontal dots) and then Settings.
  2. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  3. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  4. In the box that appears, click Reset.

If the issue persists, I would like to start your notebook in the safe mode and check. Here are the steps:

1. Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly.

2. From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.

3. Now, try going online and let me know if that works.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello, @SailorJohn110 - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! I will be glad to be of your assistance!

I see that you are having issues while going online on your HP online even though it shows that you have internet access and other devices in the network are able to access the internet. Did you check possible issues with the browser? It could be possible that the browser that you are using to browse could be the cause of the issue.

Let’s start by completely resetting your browser. Follow the steps below and check:

To reset the Internet explorer:

1. Press the “Windows key” + “R” to get the “Run” window.
  2. Type “inetcpl.cpl” and press ok to get the internet explorer properties.
  3. Go to “Advanced” tab and select “Reset” option to completely reset the internet explorer.
  4. Now open the internet explorer and try browsing.

To reset Chrome:

1. At the top right, click More (Three horizontal dots) and then Settings.
  2. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  3. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  4. In the box that appears, click Reset.

If the issue persists, I would like to start your notebook in the safe mode and check. Here are the steps:

1. Turn on the computer and immediately begin pressing the F8 key repeatedly.

2. From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.

3. Now, try going online and let me know if that works.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you very much in providing a way to resolve this issue.

I did the first step as you noted and it worked. At first it was not letting me onto the internet, but realized that the system was still working. I checked various web sites, ie: Facebook, Outlook, etc and all work perfectly.

I had ComCast/Xfinity Techs work on this issue for over 2 hours. Had a friend who worked me through trying to fix my ip address even though Xfinity stated that was not the issue. Their tests showed my ip address was working fine.

I have no idea how this issue came about. Never in the 8 years hvae I had any issues with this HP laptop.

Thank you so much for helping me get my laptop up and running. It will be the family life line when I travel to Asia in the coming month using Skype.

HP Recommended

Hello, @SailorJohn110

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue after following the instructions 🙂

It is common to face a few browser-related issues after years of usage. There could be some browser add-ons or some other plugins which have changed your browser settings from some ad pages or some unsecured pages. Hence the issue with the browser. That is the reason I suggested you perform a full reset to fix this issue. 

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I just did the first step to my Acer Aspire one netbook that had the same issue. t has been sitting there for maybe 3 years or more and now I am able to gain access to the internet.

Thank you so much again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.