Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have bought a new HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook. I am unable to see any bluetooth options on this notebook. Does the DV6 come equipped with bluetooth hardware ? Please help me in this regard. It has core i5 processor and pre installed windows 7 home premium.

Thanks,

Sai

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Sal:

Most HP models come with different configurations. This means it may or may not come with a bluetooth device.

Here is how you can check:

1. Make sure you have the HP Wireless Assistant Installed.

2. If you see that application, click on it and see if a bluetooth device is listed and turned on. If it is listed and turned off, then just click the "Turn on" button.

3. Now go to your control panel>system and security>click on system.click on device manager. Toward the top of the list of devices you should see a bluetooth icon if you have a bluetooth device installed.

If it is not present in the device manager and not present in the wireless assistant, there is one last place to look. Some folks would tell you to look there first, but if you are not familiar with navigating around the BIOS, it is best you stay out of it.

4. Restart your PC and go into the system setup program (BIOS) by striking the F10 key at the HP splash screen. Go into your device configurations menu and see if there is a bluetooth device listed. If it is, make sure it is enabled. If it is not listed in your BIOS, you do not have a bluetooth device in your particular notebook.  The part number listed on the bottom of the notebook is what determines what that particular DV6 notebook comes configured with.

Paul

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, Sal:

Most HP models come with different configurations. This means it may or may not come with a bluetooth device.

Here is how you can check:

1. Make sure you have the HP Wireless Assistant Installed.

2. If you see that application, click on it and see if a bluetooth device is listed and turned on. If it is listed and turned off, then just click the "Turn on" button.

3. Now go to your control panel>system and security>click on system.click on device manager. Toward the top of the list of devices you should see a bluetooth icon if you have a bluetooth device installed.

If it is not present in the device manager and not present in the wireless assistant, there is one last place to look. Some folks would tell you to look there first, but if you are not familiar with navigating around the BIOS, it is best you stay out of it.

4. Restart your PC and go into the system setup program (BIOS) by striking the F10 key at the HP splash screen. Go into your device configurations menu and see if there is a bluetooth device listed. If it is, make sure it is enabled. If it is not listed in your BIOS, you do not have a bluetooth device in your particular notebook.  The part number listed on the bottom of the notebook is what determines what that particular DV6 notebook comes configured with.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank You Paul,

One more question, If my laptop does not have a bluetooth device, Is there anyway that I can add one to my laptop ?

Cheers,

Sai

HP Recommended

Hi, Sal:

I have posted the link to the service manual for the dv6 series. It does appear you can add a bluetooth module.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01744837/c01744837.pdf

You would need to order the module, the cable, and the tiny screw that secures the module to the top cover. You may want to take the notebook apart to see exactly what you need. Maybe the cable is already there.  It doesn't look all that difficult to install the module. You may have to get the screw from a computer supply store. I recommend you do an internet search by the part numbers you need to see if you can get these parts cheaper elsewhere than from HP.

See Chapter 3, Pages 19-20 for the location of the components. They are labeled and part numbers are provided on page 31 of the same chapter.

See Chapter 4, page 79 for the installation procedures.

Before diving in, please make sure you read the preliminary information regarding working inside the notebook found at the beginning of Chapter 4, such as removing the battery and A/C power before taking the notebook apart.

Paul

HP Recommended

i have the same problem with my hp pavilion dv6 windows 7 64bit , it has bluetooth bt i cant on/off it , i cant even see in my application bt i can find it by using restart method using f10 key...!!!! i thing i missed software when i restore my laptop softwares in hp repair  centre,i can use wifi,  plz help me to download it again....thnx

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.