Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G3 (L3Q12ES)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using the HP 250 G3, had alot of network issues, so I replaced the network card with an old card I found in an older HP laptop, and now the internet is working great, the card I am now using is:

Realtek 8188CE.

But, in the service manual of the HP 250 G3, it is not under the supported WLAN modules list, as you can see:

wlan.jpg

There is a card similiar to the 8188CE, called 8188EE, but still, not the same.

I wonder if I can keep using it although it's not supported officialy.

Perhaps it might cause damage in the future?

Ty!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The cards use the same mini PCIe  form factor, and the voltage is standard.

I see no way that any damage could result from what you did.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

it won't cause any damage to your PC.

I'm surprised that old card works on W10, though.

If your model has two antennas attached to the card, you may want to go for a dual band wlan card with bluetooth, such as the Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter.  

HP Part # 730668-001

HP Recommended

Thank you

I only have 1 antenna, so it's ok. I was also surprised that it worked, I plugged it, turned the laptop on, and the driver was already installed and as you can see it seems to be a very new driver for such an old card:

driver.jpg

One more thing: If I changed the card, how was it able to automatically install itself, if it had no driver in the first place, and there was no other source for network connection?:smileysurprised:

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I imagine that W10 had the driver in its database.

It is definitely a very new driver for a very old card!

The latest driver HP has for that card is for W8, and it is from 2012.

Since your notebook only has one antenna, and you are not happy with the card, then the only other card you could get, would be the Realtek card listed in the service manual for your notebook that has bluetooth.

I believe that card only needs one antenna too.

As far as I am aware, the Ralink card needs two antennas as well.

HP Recommended

I am actually happy with the Realtek 8188CE :). It's maybe an old card, but with the new driver, the signal is always at the max (within the range I'm mostly using), and it only has 1 antenna

Thank you Paul!

But I still wonder, how come an older card never designed to plug to future motherboard can actually do that without any damage? 😮

I guess HP engineers made some of their newer motherboards backward compatible? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The cards use the same mini PCIe  form factor, and the voltage is standard.

I see no way that any damage could result from what you did.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.