Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

WiFi no longer works and trying to switch it on using F12 only produces message about airplane mode being switched on or off. This is not a one off, there are three pages of people seeking a solution to this on the Microsoft help.  See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/hp-wireless-button-changes-air...

I am running windows 8 which came with the machine.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello ifonly.  I understand you're having some trouble activating your wifi via the wireless button.

The wireless button works a little different in Windows 8 than it has in previous versions of Windows.  It turns on/off Airplane Mode.  This means it affects all wireless radios and not just the wireless card.  In order to get the wireless button to activate the wireless try the following.  

1. From the Metro view type "wireless."
  2. You should then see "settings" on the right.  Select this and it will populate many wireless related items on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select "wireless" from this section.
  4. You should see a few options.  One being "Airplane mode" and the others being an on/off switch for bluetooth and/or wireless. 
  5. Ensure that both of these are turned on while airplane mode is off.
  6. Save changes and reboot.

This should allow you to activate the wireless card via the F12 function button.  Let me know if it works.

If you find this helpful or want to say thanks make sure to click the white star under my name.  This gives me Kudos and I really appreciate it!

I hope you have an excellent day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hi,

3 things to be checked or tried.

1) try Hard reset -

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery. Hold down the Power button for a full minute. Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and see if this helps the issue.

2) Wireless button drivers - Ensure you have the wireless button drivers - download Quick launch and hot key drivers for your PC and install.

3) Disable the function key mode and try using fn+f12 -  steps are available here to disable teh fn key mode.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

now try pressing fn+f12, that should work for you. Good Luck !!!!

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

Tried all this and all fail. Problem still exists.

HP Recommended

hi,

I think i missed one thing on this.

Shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery. Hold down the Power button for a full minute. Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter. now go to BIOS and load BIOS defaults, Save & exit. check if it works 

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
HP Recommended

Sorry, that doesn't work either. I am still stuck without WI Fi.  Should I just return it to the vendor and get a refund?

HP Recommended

Could you please give me the exact model number of your notebook?

You can use the following document if you need assistance in finding it.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Sure 

Model M6-1117tx

HP Recommended

Here you go!

HP Wireless Button Driver

That should fix everything for you! If it doesn't, just let me know, but I'm pretty sure that is the fix you are looking for. Best of luck!

-Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

Nope, no luck there.

What else have you got?

HP Recommended

So two weeks later and you still have nothing. I think it is time for me to return the PC?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.