Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n064sz
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello

I would like to replace my current Wifi adapter Ralink RT3290 by an newer Intel 7260.HMWWB.R and I've read that the BIOS whitelist may cause problems.

How do I know whether the BIOS of my laptop is using a whitelist?

I bought the laptop with a pre-installed Windows 8 but later downgraded to Windows 7. The model is HP Pavilion 15, serial [Personal Information Removed]

Your help is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Lio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model does not have a whitelist but check to make sure the wlan card you have now has two antennas connected to it.

The Intel 7260 needs two wireless antennas to work correctly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model does not have a whitelist but check to make sure the wlan card you have now has two antennas connected to it.

The Intel 7260 needs two wireless antennas to work correctly.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I was just checking my BIOS Version: Insyde F.43.

I've not yet opened the laptop but according to what I've found on the internet the RALINK should have two antennas. Somehow I cannot find my 5G-network anymore but only the 2.5G-network.

I guess it's a driver issue. But anyway I would like to upgrade the adapter.

The adapter I intend to purchase is similar to the Ralink using 2 antennas.

http://ark.intel.com/products/75439/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7260?_ga=1.74451858.1042544171.14218...

Kind regards

Lionel

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Lionel.

Here is the HP equivalent of the card you want to purchase.

You may be able to get one by querying by the HP part number on eBay or elsewhere.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

HP Recommended

Dear Paul

Unfortunately the store I would like to purchase the WiFi card does not sell this one.

But alternatively they also sell Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (M.2 PCIe, 866Mbit/s).

Is there any advantage in comparison to the Intel 7260 HMWB.R?

Kind regards

Lionel

HP Recommended

Hi, Lionel:

The 7265 should be fine too.

How Intel releases models...models ending in a 5 is a revised version of models ending in a zero.

This pertains to the wireless cards and solid state drives.

So...the 7260 was the new release of a new model card.  The 7265 is a revision to the 7260.

When you look at the specs they seem to be pretty much the same...with one big exception...

You better make sure the 7265 is a HMC format card, because according to the specs below, it only comes in the M.2 format, which won't work in your PC.  The Ralink card is a HMC format card, is it not?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/83635,75439

HP Recommended

Dear Paul

Yes, the mentioned 7625 model has a M.2 interface while the 7260.HMWWB.R has a PCIe Half Mini Card interface.

I will go for the 7260.HMWWB.R and report whether it has worked out.

Thank you very much for your support.

Cheers

Lionel

HP Recommended

Anytime, Lionel.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the wireless card upgrade for your notebook.

Cheers,

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.