Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv3 2115ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have replaced the small HD 200-ish gb with a 750 gb HD. My son (works at Intel) took me through cloning the OS (and rest of the disk) from small to large. All worked well except the wifi that stays red and refuses to go blue!!! The netwoork connections page always says it is turned off but I turn it on and behind my back it turns itself off. Naughty little 'puter. What is happening please? i love my dv3, best thing after sliced bread.

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's great brigandchief!

We did also - tried resetting the BIOS settings to default - and tried updating the BIOS (called flashing the BIOS) and none of those or other more common standard solutions worked.

I'm glad it worked for your computer!    🙂

Cheers!

Kim

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello Brigand, 

I am equally upset with the fact that the wi-fi is not working in your computer.  Could you tell me , if it was working fine earlier. 

When you click on the network icon on the task bar of your computer, does it show your network name. Please check, if your computer is in network mode and not in airplane mode. 

Next , if you see your network name, choose connect and let me know what happens.. If it is not gettting connected, then disable the firewall from your anti virus package. 

Also, you may go to device manager, and under network adapter , please right click on the wi-fi adapter and choose uninstall .. Now, restart the computer .. and then check. 

Please let me know how far it helped you to make it work. 

Thanking You for choosing HP,

Regards,

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

Hi brigandchief, and others in these Wireless Issues Discussion Lists

I'm a Level 2 HP Enterprise Services Contract Deskside Support Tech for an Automotive Industry Supplier who leases HP EliteBooks and other types of HP Laptops and desktops.   So we work on HP laptops and desktops extensively.

The most common symptom we were seeing is this:   When you hover the mouse cursor over the wireless icon in the system tray, (the wireless network icon has the red X through it), there would be no list of available wireless networks.  

When we began getting these tickets for our users (just a handful over the past year) who all of a sudden lose their wireless connection - and pressing the wireless radio signal button does no good - we tried everything the other experts on these topic of discussion lists have tried.  We tried updating (flashing) the BIOS, enabling/disabling the device in the BIOS, tried uninstall/reinstall of the device in Device Manager, disabled the Power Management setting in the Wireless LAN Device properties panel, tried updating the Wireless NIC driver, etc.   Nothing worked!

We have discovered, (and we don't know why yet), that if we boot the computer to a LINUX OS using a LINUX USB boot stick, then as soon as the computer finishes booting up to the LINUX desktop, we shut it down (choose Restart) and remove the flash drive and let it boot back to Windows as normal, VIOLA!   The Wireless LAN adapter has re-enabled magically and the available networks list pops back up on the Windows desktop and it's enabled again.

But on one or two of our users' laptops (the EliteBook 840s), the issue has re-occurred.  So we've had to repeat the above procedure.  And it works flawlessly.    We still don't know why this happens, or why booting to LINUX resolves it.   We plan on booting to the Windows PE with a Windows USB Bootstick next time it happens, to see if it matters what OS we boot to.  Will report back on it.

Thanks!

Kim Mouser

kmo1117

HP Recommended

Hi I have just loggged in and will need understand what you have said.

Just so you have the detail. I wanted to install a bigger hardsdrive so I got a 750 Gb one. My young son at Intel took me through the steps of cloning my W10 and data onto the lartger disk. I have a sata cable connecting the new disk through the esata port. Matthew took me through the process step by step.

I then installed the larger drive and ghe wireless has switched itself off ever since.

Cheers David

HP Recommended

My wireless has been just fine until I did this HD change. The OS has been cloned from the small HD to the larger one using Clonzilla. Even when I go into network connections and try to turn it on the toggle switch refuses to stay on and goes to off. I have uninstalled the drivers, updated them, shouted at them but still the wireless has just gone. Frustrating especially as I know not a lot about these machines!

I have to add that this LT has been wonderful, very surprised that the wireless just fails like this!!

Cheers David

HP Recommended

Kim

How do I get a linux boot stick?

Cheers david

HP Recommended

Hi David,

The solution we found is for wireless that just stops working for no reason.  The wireless icon in the lower-right corner of the Windows Taskbar (called the System Tray), has a red X through it and there are no detected networks.  We use Windows 64-bit Enterprise version.  

However, at least you can just try the solution - it's simple and easy to load LINUX from USB and then just restart back to Windows without hurting anything.  And if it doesn't work for you, at least you can check that off your list.

As for how to create a LINUX boot stick,  I just typed "LINUX Boot Stick" in Google search page and got a lot of hits.  Only use the ones with the valid technology company's site, like these below:

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows  

---Ubuntu is a version of LINUX.

or here is another one for LINUX Ubuntu:    https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install 

Or this one:     http://www.pcworld.com/.../create_a_bootable_linux_flash_drive_in_three_easy_steps.html 

---PC World is a well-known tech site and magazine. 

Or this one for Mint - another version of LINUX:    https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

One more that might help:

https://youtu.be/O9LU4jrDwoc    

Install/create bootable ubuntu linux usb stick/flash drive, how to run ubuntu live on a windows pc booting from a usb flash drive, create a bootable USB flash drive to install ubuntu or run ubuntu live on a windows computer. Once your usb flash drive is set up you can then restart your computer ...
HP Recommended

This is what my young son suggested,

"Try to reset the BIOS settings. Load the BIOS, look where it says "load defaults", press that button, save and reboot."

And it works!!!

Thanks David

HP Recommended

That's great brigandchief!

We did also - tried resetting the BIOS settings to default - and tried updating the BIOS (called flashing the BIOS) and none of those or other more common standard solutions worked.

I'm glad it worked for your computer!    🙂

Cheers!

Kim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.