Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (123 Views)

Win7x64 netork driver for Pavilion G100

Product Name: Pavilion 17T-G100
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a refurbished Pavilion 17T-G100 with Windows 10.  I wiped it and put Win7x64 SP1 on it.  Initially I had only loaded the AC-3165 wireless driver which didn't fully enable the interface.  I then installed the Realtek driver from   http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_134477_1 (SP66924.exe) which resolved the problem and got it working.  However, after downloading and installing the initial 145 Windows updates, after rebooting I was back to where I was.  No connections available - it thinks the interface isn't enabled even though it shows it is through the Network and Sharing Center.  I tried running the installation again but it runs without really showing anything and still shows no connections available. 

In addition, the USB controller isn't show correctly either.  It only shows the controller but no driver installed.  It does not show the USB Root Hub.  So my external USB drive (thumb drive or MyBook) isn't seen although the wireless HP mouse is.  Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Ken...

Highlighted
Provost
Message 2 of 6 (110 Views)

Re: Win7x64 netork driver for Pavilion G100

Hi, Ken:

For the USB Controller, download, unzip and run the setup.exe file from the link below.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Control...

Wireless:  There can be one of several different wlan cards that HP could have installed in your notebook.

Please post the hardware ID for the device you see listed in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller.

That would be the wireless card in need of a driver.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

If the driver was installed but the device isn't working, check under the Network Adapters device manager category and post the name and model number of the wireless network adapter you see listed there.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (54 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm basically only working on this on the weekend so i just got back to it.  I found USB eXtensible driver shortly after I posted the question so I got that loaded although I'm still having trouble with the MyBook but I'll work on that.

I'm more frustrated by the network interface.  For the record the hardware ID for the wireless is

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&SUBSYS_40108086&REV81

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&SUBSYS_40108086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&CC_0280

But I think I have the right driver for that.  I thought I had the right driver for the ethernet controller (sp66924.exe) but I used your method for finding drivers for unidentified hardware by searching for the hardware ID and found sp72631 which put the Realtek controller under Network adapters and eliminated the unknown ethernet controller under Other devices.  For the record, the hardware IDs are:

PCI\VEN10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_80A5103C&REV_0A

PCI\VEN10EC&DEV_8136&SUBSYS_80A5103C

PCI\VEN10EC&DEV_8136&CC_020000

PCI\VEN10EC&DEV_8136&CC_0200

But even with that, when the system boots up, I get no wireless connection.  Under Network Connections I see four connections listed (now - had been three) - Local Area (Realtek), Wireless (AC3165), Wireless #4 (virtual WiFi Miniport) and Wireless #5 (virtual WiFi Miniport).  All show disconnected.  I found that I can hit the Airplane mode button (F12), which does nothing, then hit it again and a Bluetooth connection appears.  And although that shows not connected, the Wireless (AC3165) now connects and everything is fine until I reboot.  I get internet connection and everything.  This is actually my wife's computer and I don't think she'll be keen on doing that everytime it boots up.  Smiley Happy  Any suggestions on that?  When I was installing drivers I installed the bluetooth driver (because I thought I needed to).  I tried uninstalling it but it seems I still have to do the double F12 which installs the bluetooth again.  I'm this close to going back to the restore point before I installed anything and start over but not installing the bluetooth to see if that makes a difference.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks again for your help.

Ken...

Provost
Message 4 of 6 (43 Views)

You're very welcome, Ken.

See if installing the latest Intel 3165 wireless driver directly from Intel helps...the 2nd file down on the left side of the page is for W7 x64

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26599/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-...

You would also need the Intel bluetooth driver for the bluetooth to work. The 2nd file down on the left side of the page is for W7 x64

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26582/Wireless-Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-Software-for-Windo...

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (36 Views)

Hi Paul.  Thanks again for the quick reply.  So I feel compelled to let you know my experience just so you don't think you're trying to lead the blind.  Smiley Happy  Not that anything you've said has been any issue, I just want you to know my experience.  I've been on the development and QA side of software for over 20 years, and used and supported my company's software for over 10 years prior to that, so I'm experienced and reasonably methodical.  

So here's what I've done.  I downloaded the drivers from both links you provided.  The AC3165 was the same file as I had (I was replacing the same filename), although I'm not 100% sure i downloaded it from Intel (although I think I did) so when I ran it it just wanted to repair, modify or uninstall.  So I tried repair and then installed the bluetooth driver.  That seemed to be a first time occurrence.  No help - same symptom.  I then tried going into the bluetooth setup and turned off the adapter.  Still had to hit F12 twice to get the wireless to connect, although it did not bring up the bluetooth adapter (since I had it off).  

So, I then tried uninstalling the wireless driver so I could do a complete install.  I uninstalled the driver through Device Manager, but still had to do an uninstall through the actual installer.  Fine, did all that.  After the install was complete I could immediately connect to the wireless network.  Rebooted, have to hit the F12 twice to connect.  And since the bluetooth is turned off, it still does not come up in the connections.  Which is OK, because for the record, I don't think I care about bluetooth anyway, so if you think having it installed may be an issue I don't have a problem uninstalling it.  Although like I said previously I thought I did, but it didn't really go away.

So it's pretty strange.  And if I have to live with the double F12 I suppose there's worse things.  Smiley Happy

Thanks...

Ken...

Provost
Message 6 of 6 (28 Views)

You're very welcome, Ken:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't know why you would have to press the F12 key twice but if you think the BT driver could have cause it and you don't need the bluetooth to work, you may as well see if uninstalling the driver resolves the problem.

You would have to uninstall the BT software from the control panel>remove programs section.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation