Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-059c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The message I get when I try to set up a homegroup on this computer is "Windows can't set up a homegroup on this computer". I have tried everything that has been suggested on troubleshooting forums I have searched on the web about this problem but with no success. I am trying to create a network with this computer and a Windws 10 64 bit Dell laptop.
The two computer on in the same WORKGROUP and I can set up a homegroup on the Dell but when I try to join the homegroup on the HP I get the same error message. It was suggested that I remove the homegroup from the Dell and set up a new homegroup on the HP but the HP won't let me set up a new homegroup. Where have I gone wrong? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As I said in my last post, I was having no luck getting my network set up, but after going through the fixes suggested by WAWood I realized that fixating on setting up a Homegroup was not getting me anywhere. I decided to begin searching web forums for a solution to getting the service “Peer Networking Grouping” running, something I had not been able to do (Strangly enough clicking on the “Start” button a billion times did absolutely nothing) since this whole mess started. The following are the procedures that seemed the most likely to have success. First try was to modify the registry using a suggestion from:

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/9691-computer-can-not-join-create-homegroup.html

Modify IPv6 registry key to enable IPV6
==========================
a. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 
b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters
c. Check whether the "DisabledComponents" registry key exists. If so, let's move on the next steps.
d. Double click the "DisabledComponents" registry key and modify the value to 0.
(If the key doesn't exist, please create the key above and assign the value 0)
e. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

So far no change. On to the next fix from:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/win7/archive/2011/02/16/quot-peer-name-resolution-protocol-quot-service-c...

1. From an elevated CMD prompt, type in the following command:

net stop p2pimsvc /y

2. Delete the following file:

"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

3. Reboot the computer.

These two fixes, seemingly, didn’t change anything, but when I went back to Services and double clicked Peer Network Grouping, then clicked on the “Log on” tab I found that the “Local System Account” was selected and the “Allow service to interact with desktop” box was checked. Since I knew from my many visits to that tab that this was not the way it was configured originally I checked the Properties of the service directly below it (Peer Networking Identity Manager) the “Log on” tab showed This account was selected and the term “Local Service” was in the text box just to the right of This account. In the two boxes just below this text box were two boxes titled Password and Confirm password each of these boxes contained 14 dots. I decided that this looked very much like what I remember the Log on tab of “Peer Networking Grouping” properties dialog box was originally configured. I went back to the Peer Networking Grouping Properties Log on tab and performed the following steps.

Selected “This account” thereby deselecting “Local System account”

Typed “Local Service” into the text box to the right of “This account”

Deleted all of the dots in both the “Password” and “Confirm password” boxes

Clicked on Apply

Clicked on the General tab and clicked on the Start button (Yay it actually started)

Rebooted the computer

From there I was able to set up a Homegroup and then I was able the join that Homegroup on my wirelessly connected laptop and viola I have a network.

Thanks to WAWood for setting me on the path to trying to get the service “Peer Networking Grouping” running as my ultimate goal.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

EBJ693

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about problems setting up a HomeGroup under Win10 and wanted to help.

Here are some hints, and a possible solution, from Microsoft:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/why-cant-i-create-a-homegroup

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried using the Microsoft Fix-It tool and it could not find a problem, i then tried to start Peer Networking Grouping in Services, when I did that I got a Error 1079.  When I looked that up on the web I was directed to another Microsoft Fix-It tool 50671.msi which I ran and got the message "This Microsoft fix it does not apply to your operating system or application version" I also tried the manual version of that fix which is:

Let me fix it myself

Set the service and any dependent services to run under the NT AUTHORITY\LocalService account.

For example, for the Windows Firewall service, follow the steps:

1. Click Start, type "Services.msc” in the Search programs and files box, and then press ENTER,
2. Locate and double click the Windows Firewall service.
3. Click the Log On tab,
4. In the This account text box, type “NT AUTHORITY\LocalService”,
5. Set both Password fields blank,
6. Click Apply and then OK,
7. Repeat these steps for the Base Filtering Engine service.
8. Restart both services.

Again it didn't allow me to start Peer Networking Grouping with "Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process" appearing again, so I'm back where I started.  I'd welcome any other solution you could offer.

Ed J.

HP Recommended

As I said in my last post, I was having no luck getting my network set up, but after going through the fixes suggested by WAWood I realized that fixating on setting up a Homegroup was not getting me anywhere. I decided to begin searching web forums for a solution to getting the service “Peer Networking Grouping” running, something I had not been able to do (Strangly enough clicking on the “Start” button a billion times did absolutely nothing) since this whole mess started. The following are the procedures that seemed the most likely to have success. First try was to modify the registry using a suggestion from:

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/9691-computer-can-not-join-create-homegroup.html

Modify IPv6 registry key to enable IPV6
==========================
a. Click Start, type regedit in Search Bar, and then click regedit in the Programs list.
Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue. 
b. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\TCPIP6\Parameters
c. Check whether the "DisabledComponents" registry key exists. If so, let's move on the next steps.
d. Double click the "DisabledComponents" registry key and modify the value to 0.
(If the key doesn't exist, please create the key above and assign the value 0)
e. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

So far no change. On to the next fix from:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/win7/archive/2011/02/16/quot-peer-name-resolution-protocol-quot-service-c...

1. From an elevated CMD prompt, type in the following command:

net stop p2pimsvc /y

2. Delete the following file:

"C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking\idstore.sst"

3. Reboot the computer.

These two fixes, seemingly, didn’t change anything, but when I went back to Services and double clicked Peer Network Grouping, then clicked on the “Log on” tab I found that the “Local System Account” was selected and the “Allow service to interact with desktop” box was checked. Since I knew from my many visits to that tab that this was not the way it was configured originally I checked the Properties of the service directly below it (Peer Networking Identity Manager) the “Log on” tab showed This account was selected and the term “Local Service” was in the text box just to the right of This account. In the two boxes just below this text box were two boxes titled Password and Confirm password each of these boxes contained 14 dots. I decided that this looked very much like what I remember the Log on tab of “Peer Networking Grouping” properties dialog box was originally configured. I went back to the Peer Networking Grouping Properties Log on tab and performed the following steps.

Selected “This account” thereby deselecting “Local System account”

Typed “Local Service” into the text box to the right of “This account”

Deleted all of the dots in both the “Password” and “Confirm password” boxes

Clicked on Apply

Clicked on the General tab and clicked on the Start button (Yay it actually started)

Rebooted the computer

From there I was able to set up a Homegroup and then I was able the join that Homegroup on my wirelessly connected laptop and viola I have a network.

Thanks to WAWood for setting me on the path to trying to get the service “Peer Networking Grouping” running as my ultimate goal.

HP Recommended

Hi, I hope you are still watching this thread. I followed your instructions but have ground to a halt.

Some background. I have just loaded Windows 10 Home onto a new PC. It has the "can't set up homegroup"problem. I also have a laptop on Windows 10 basic, the single language version they sell in Asia. The homegroup was set up on my last PC running on Windows 7 but the windows 10 laptop joined OK.

When I started up the new PC, it showed the homegroup as ready to join but failed at the password stage with can't set up etc. I left the homegroup on the laptop, rebooted, and was asked to start a new one which I did, then changed the generic password and tried that on the PC - no success. Naturally I've tried the troubleshooters.

Back to your solution. After the first stage of adding DisabledComponents, after re boot the network centre said ready to create, ha ha I thought, progress. Of course I failed at the password stage with the same can't set up etc.

I then went on to the second stage. When I put "net stop p2pimsvc /y" into the cmd it said Peer netword had closed sucessfully. I then went to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking but the file was empty, ie no "idstore.ssd" to delete. I rebooted anyway.

I then went back via regedit to services, there was no Peer Network Grouping. Thus I am here.

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

I would really like to help you with this problem, so I went back through the steps I took to finally solve my problem. I am going to say that getting "Peer Networking Grouping" running was what solved my problem. To see if it is running go to

Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services/Scroll down to Peer Network Grouping

Under "Status" it should say "Running"

Under "Startup Type" it should say "Manual"

Under "Log On As" it should say "Local Service"

If this is the case then I'm not sure I can help you, but if the "Peer Network Grouping" service does not look like this then double click on "Peer Network Grouping", click on the "Log On" tab and make the changes noted in my directions and click on the "General" tab and see if you can start it from there. Click OK and it should be running. I wish you the best of luck and If you tell me what you see when you follow this procedure I will try to help but I am by no means an IT expert, just a guy who tries to fix what I can before resorting to turning things over to the real experts.

HP Recommended

Many thanks indeed for responding. Unfortunately when I try to start Peer Networking Grouping I get error 1068. I checked that out and got refered to this post by Microsoft (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/windows-could-not-start-er... and I followed all the steps but no success.

Peer Name Resolution isn't working either but as that is to do with remote assistance and W10 Home doesn't allow remote PC control, I'm unsure if that is important. It gives error 0x80630203.

I drawing to the conclusion a reload will be needed but I'll wait and see that you think.

Cheers, John

HP Recommended

I should add, my PC is connected via ethernet rather than wireless, so my issue is possible not P2P related

HP Recommended

Just to clairify, are you saying that both of the Windows 10 PCs you are trying to network are connected via ethernet cable? This would seem to be the easiest way to network two computers, but apparently, as it is in most computer related situations, things are never as simple as they seem. If by reload, you mean reinstalling Windows 10, I hesitate recommending that because it means, at least in my case, reinstalling tons of software you have already installed, but if you haven't loaded a bunch of stuff on the computer or you don't mind rebuilding your computer to it's former state, a reinstall is worth a try. I was looking around the net for tips on networking two connected computer and all I got was recommendations about wireless, so I was probably wording my search incorrectly. I will continue to try find something that will help in your particular circumstance and pass it on to you when I do.

Ed J.

HP Recommended

Many, many thanks for your easy to follow instructions. I had been tearing my hair out (not that I have much anyway) over this problem for days and just Googled to this site. Fortunately for me I only needed to modify the IPv6 registry key to zero (0) and that was it! What I don't understand is why your approach to the issue doesn't seem to appear on Windows 10 forums or perhaps I haven't searched hard enough. Anyway, I now have all our PC's communicating with each other so once again, many many thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.