Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

battery solution only works when I uninstalled the wireless driver first.  

Uninstalling the Device

To uninstall a device by using Device Manager, follow these steps:

1. Start Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click Device Manager.

2. Expand the node that represents the type of device that you want to uninstall, right-click the device entry, and click Uninstall.

3. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the uninstall process.

4. When the uninstall process is complete, remove the device.

HP Recommended
I had the same issue for a While and havent been using my laptop for a few months. It always was "closed" with the orange led on the wireless swith on/off F12 key..
Nothing i tried would get it turned back on.

I was actually out to buy a new laptop, but something kept me waiting..

Today i just wanted to see If i could do something to make it work again. I wanted to be 100% sure before i would throw it out in the trash can.

I tried the battery off, hold Down the power for 30 sec etc with no luck.

I then tried to check out the bios settings, where nothing was understandable to me.. Just before i exited the bios settings i hit the "Update to Best settings" and saved.

The laptop rebooted and boom...
The wireless issue is over!! A stupid but easy solutions to my wireless problem.. 🙂

Try it it might work for you guys out there to - good luck!
HP Recommended

My system:  HP Pavilion DM4 3170se Beats Edition

Wifi - Replaced original Intel Centrino Wireless-N-2230 with Intel Network 7260.HMWG.R Revised WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth

I had the same issue everyone here has posted.   F12 wifi button not working - always lit amber.   Tried everything suggested so far with no luck.  BIOS upgrade, BIOS downgrade, driver updates, reset BIOS to default, HP Support Assistant, blah blah blah.   Nothing worked, except I could make the button work with the standard pulling-the-battery and holding down the power button trick, but who wants to do that every time you restart the laptop?   No one. 

Finally I unistalled every single piece of HP specific software that I could find on the machine, including the HP button driver software, the HP support assistant, all of it.    Power off, then back on.  Now, the F12 button seems to work, although you have to press it twice every time (as the first press gets no reaction), and the default button setting is off, which sucks, since that means I now have to press F12 twice every time the machine reboots or starts from scratch.   But I can live with that.   At least it actually works, and I'm getting the AC wifi speed connections to my router (876Mbps wifi connection), and about 150mbps downloads from the internet.   Bluetooth is working as well.

HP Recommended

This worked perfectly. THANK YOU! Of all the suggestions I had tried, this is the only one. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.