Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How about using Windows Mobility Center (accessible from Control Panel) to turn on or off your wireless?

HP Recommended

HP Pavillion with Vista.  The wireless button is not working.  Is there another to turn on wifi?

HP Recommended

Did you try the Windows Mobility Center accessible from the Control Panel?  That might work.

HP Recommended

I am not sure if this is still an issue, but I didn't find the answer until I stumbled upon it.

The HP Wireless assistant actually shuts down the wireless card without the use of the button.  You have to go into the wireless assistant (providing you still have it -- I had to re-install mine), go to the installed wireless devices section, and use the toggle buttons in the software to start the button again.

I hope this helps anyone out there still searching for a fix.

d

HP Recommended

What exactly do you mean by the "toggle" buttons...

HP Recommended

It is a button in the software that says Turn All On and another that says Turn All Off.  Once I switch that on, the blue light lights up for the switch on the side of my HP Pavilion laptop.

HP Recommended

This did not work. Another splendid piece of crap HP product. No wonder the company is falling apart. Inability to compete in an ever growing wireless world and making a reliable product that works. What a joke.

HP Recommended

Tried that too, Doug. Wireless Assistant doesn't even open now. What a comlete joke this company is. No wonder Apple is taking over the world with their superior technology.

ALL you hidden HP dorks on this forum, please feel free to contact me about fixing this issue. But you cannot. It is a clunker and like the rest of your company, falling apart. 

HP Recommended

Sorry it didn't work for you.

My dirty little secret is I have Ubuntu on a partition and when this happens (and it has happened several times) I have to log on to windows to perform this same proceedure.  I deleted the HP assistant program (not entirely by accident, but without thinking) then realized that I needed it to start the hardware of the wireless button. I only log on to windows for only this procedure.

In fact, it is not working now -- seems like everytime I log onto Windows it doesn't work. 

Again, I am sorry it didn't work for you.  I included the screen shots of starting the wireless assistant in the hopes it may help someone else.  Between the two screen shots, I pushed the side hardware button on my laptop, but even though it does not turn blue, it still turns on.  The second screen shot shows that when the software button is pushed, it activates the hardware and the button turns on.

wireless off.JPG

wireless on.JPG

HP Recommended

I had gone through all of the steps listed up to here and with no luck, either. Now I just tried opening Wireless Assistant AND IT WORKS!! Thanks!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.