Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7-1451nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
My pavilion dv7-1451nr only turns wireless keyboard blue when I reset the motherboard by removing the battery and press power button for seconds, after which I would plug the charger back to it while still leaving the battery out and press power button. After this, I would press f10 to enter bios setup, then I would load the default settings, save and exit.

Having done all I explained above, the wireless button will turn blue and wireless assistant would be activated and indicates that wireless is on. If I check on the device manager, I would see the wireless hardware and driver details populated there and everything would be working fine but once I reboot the computer, the wireless button would refuse to turn on; it stays amber. If I try to check the status of the WLAN hardware and driver status on device manager, they would no longer be populated there anymore and wireless assistant would refuse to launch. If by any chance it launches, it would indicate that wireless is disabled by the device manager.

I had tried to uninstall the wireless LAN driver and reinstalled it just in case the problem was coming from the software aspect but no solution. Just this afternoon, I uncoupled the computer and removed the WLAN card, dusted it, and replace it back, but the problem still persists.

The type of wlan card is Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi adapter. I noticed something this afternoon though, having checked through the maintenance manual for the computer, I realised that there are specific types of wireless card compatible for some specific regions. For instance, the appropriate wlan spare part number that should be on my computer is 582564-002 and having cross-referenced this with the wlan spare part number on the wireless card available on my computer which begins with sps 452........., I realised that something was not right. I will leave this to the judgment of you HP guys but I really need solution to this problem very fast because it's really annoying me. Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @LL_Cool_J,

Thank you for the information!

I am not sure what you mean, when asking if the model is 50xx or 40xx. Confirming the WLAN Module is a bit difficult, because there are multiple service manuals for this model.  I was able to narrow down the selection a bit, by comparing the spare part numbers for the Hard Drives.  Based on that service manual, the WLAN Modules you have listed, 582564-002, 593836-001, should be compatible.  However, I do not see the Atheros as an option in that manual.  To be on the safe side, you may consider contacting HP Phone Support.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
I forgot to mention in my last post that whenever windows tries to automatically initiate repair sequence, the wireless button turns blue and it works fine but as soon as I reboot the computer, the wireless button stays amber again and never turns on. I've downloaded the driver agent plus software and I'll run it on my computer to see if it resolves the issue, I only hope it is driver issue and that the software resolves it. I'll post a feedback on the result of the downloaded software soon. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello @LL_Cool_J,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums! The forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I came across your post about the WiFi issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that the WiFi will work, until you restart the notebook.

What service manual did you use to check the notebook?  The service manual that I found, did not reference the same part.  In the meantime, try resolving the issue by using the following document: HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet

You can also try checking the hardware, using the following: 

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista)

Please post back with the results.  Let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended
Hi SDF15, thanks for your response to my comments. Actually, I already used the HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet where I had the necessary driver software downloaded especially for my wireless network adapter, however the problem still persists. I'm suspecting a bad wireless card or probably the bad/dirty slot; I'm not certain though, just my perception. Although, I already removed and blow the card itself just in case it was dirty but the wireless button still stays amber until I reset the motherboard or windows initiates repair sequence.

To candid with you, it's really frustrating. I also tried using HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) but I realised that there was no option for testing wireless adapter included. Any other advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
HP Recommended

Hello @LL_Cool_J,

Thank you for the quick reply!

There should be an option to test the WLAN Module, in the UEFI Component Tests.  If you are unable to perform the test, and already completed the other troubleshooting, then you may have to replace the WLAN Module.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thank you SDF15SDF15 for your quick response. Actually, I thought as much, I suspected a bad WLAN module might be the problem. So how do I know if my PC model is 50xx or 40xx? I need this information so as to be able to decide on what type of module to replace it with. Kindly refer to HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC Maintenance and Service guide for more understanding of my question; you can download a copy from the internet. I understood from this eBook that only the product numbers 582564-002 and 593836-001 are compatible for use in Nigeria, kindly confirm this.

One more thing please, the type of WLAN adapter in my computer right now is Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g while the appropriate one specified in the service guide is of the type Broadcom 4322 802.11 a/b/g/n, what is your opinion on this please? Do I have to make a purchase based on product number or type?
HP Recommended

Hello @LL_Cool_J,

Thank you for the information!

I am not sure what you mean, when asking if the model is 50xx or 40xx. Confirming the WLAN Module is a bit difficult, because there are multiple service manuals for this model.  I was able to narrow down the selection a bit, by comparing the spare part numbers for the Hard Drives.  Based on that service manual, the WLAN Modules you have listed, 582564-002, 593836-001, should be compatible.  However, I do not see the Atheros as an option in that manual.  To be on the safe side, you may consider contacting HP Phone Support.  Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.