Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

just call HP Technical Support @ 1-800-474-6836 & check if your notebook's product number, serial number is included on the list of affected units under their limited enhancement program  here's the link   http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925  & if it's included definitely it's a motherboard issue, just read the documents throughly so you won't be misguided..!!!

HP Recommended

I called HP. My computer has the "hardware issue" and needs a new motherboard for $499.00 CAD.

Unfortunately, free repair is not determined by whether they put the defective hardware in your computer - it's based on when the defective hardware fails.

I am so angry. All that extra money for the HP name? Don't bother.

HP Recommended

You know what I fix computers and I do it as parttime so I don't handle that much customers. But I'm really amazed at how many people contacted me that fall within HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 and Compaq Presario v3000/v6000 Series Notebook PCs -  HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement.

They have sold these like potatoes and now they r getting fried  one by one. Fried potatoes lol

BUT  The important thing is all of these people when contacted HP SUPPORT or service station they were never advised that all this has a RECALL and  is covered under special warranty. Instead they were told to pay the cost of motherboard replacement.

And when I give them a printout from the webpage:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00818925

and tell them to contact HP ...still hp people give most of them a hard time.

Yesterday A guy with dv9000 wireless problem was told some $590 odd to fix the wireless issue by hp people as his standard warranty of one year was over. Now this is not really good. Shame on HP.

And as Jody rightly said:

"All that extra money for the HP name? Don't bother"

"Unfortunately, free repair is not determined by whether they put the defective hardware in your computer - it's based on when the defective hardware fails"

EDIT by Katie_H (4/1/11): Removed broken link

HP Recommended
This is defintely a piece of garbage. HP should be ashamed in their design in these laptops. there are ways to inform the end-users of these substandard devices. if they had good intentions they would have exploited these resources...:smileymad: they surely could have used their HP update site as an informative tool, yet they did not. I have been in this business for almost 17 yrs, and I have to say there is no excuse for HP. <text deleted> If you or anyone you know has one of these laptops let me know by sending me an email. the sunject line should say (hp laptop issue) and in the body Please input ( your model #) and send to: <text deleted>
Message Edited by compudoc on 09-02-2009 09:25 AM
Message Edited by WendyM on 09-02-2009 10:50 AM
HP Recommended

My HP Pavilion 6308 stopped recognizing the fact that it did have a wireless adapter installed.  My standard warrenty was expired, but upon going to the HP website I discovered that this was a known problem and that my model was covered under their limited warrenty.  I carefully read all the directions and followed them to the letter including calling and talking to a rep that did a bit of on the phone troubleshooting.  He then told me that the problem was covered and that HP would repair my laptop at no cost to me.  I mailed the unit in and then received a phone call from "customer relations" that they had found liquid residue under the keys on my deyboard.  I don't remember ever spilling anything on the unit, but it is almost two years old, so who can say.  The laptop worked perfectly except for the wireless problem (which by their own admission was not damage or wear and tear).  They then informed me that because there was "damage" to the unit they could not repair it under the limited warrenty.  However, for almost twice the cost of the unit they could repair it.  I love the computer but the customer service is the worst.

HP Recommended

I am posting this on multiple threads, same issue...others have reported that it occurs after updating to Vista Service Pack 2.  Can you folks let me know if you are having identical issues in control panel? 

Hello...same issue here.  Started about 1 week ago.  Seems like HP DV6308nr just stopped recognizing the wireless card altogether.  Wired connectivity is fine.  Updated the driver and it worked for a day.  Then updated the driver again from Nvidia and it worked for a day.  Seems like once I get it working, then when I put the PC in hibernate mode for the night, I lose the wireless.  Something the PC does when it checks for updates each night?  But there is nothing Windows Update showing that anything was updated. 

Also, odd issue...in Control Panel, when I have connectivity I am able to click on the HP Wireless Assistant and the window pops up.  When I do not have connectivity, and try to click on the Wireless Asst, nothing happens...the window never opens. 

Probably a connected issue...Windows Update shows optional update for Nvidia nForce Networking Controller is available but unable to install the update.  Get an error message 80070103, something about already having the driver installed.  Is anyone else having this same driver issue, or is the error unrelated because i actually DO have an updated driver installed? 

HP Recommended

Pedro - Thanks for the attempt.  I don't have that option in Mobility Center.  I only have Display, Sound, Battery, External Monitor, Sync and Presentation settings.  Got any other solutions on how to turn on the wireless? 

Your suggestion that it the wireless device is deactivated when the system sleeps seems right.  I really don't think this is a hardware issue because I can get the wireless to work 100% after trying new drivers, but everything stops working when the system hibernates overnight.  I have model # DV6038nr. 

HP Recommended
try unistalling ethernet in device manager restart computer do not install ethernet seems to force wireless to work
HP Recommended

Hi!!!

Try these steps:-

Open Wireless Assistant.

Click on Properties.

Select the last option. Click Apply.

Then Try to press the Wireless button or click on 'Turn on' in Wireless Assistant.

Restart the computer once.

Thank you.

HP Recommended
Same problem here - started at the beginning of September.  Took the unit apart tonight to have a looksie - everything looked ok.  pulled the cards, reinstalled everything - still no blue light - only orange.  gonna try the suggestions for ethernet and control panel.  let ya know.  dont have much faith in HP support as I'm about a year out of warranty.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.