Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv7-4180us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My dv7-4180us has a Broadcom bgn mini PCI wifi card and only gets 72 Mbps on my home network. I'm running agn+ac on my network. I understand that the wifi options are limited by the whitelist in the BIOS. I will probably wind up going with a USB adapter, but I would prefer an internal. I have a Dell E6500 with Intel Centrino 5100 card that connects at 150- 200 Mbps and I would be happy with that speed on the dv7. Which of the compatible wifi cards for my dv7 will provide the best wifi performance? I was going to get the Intel Centrino 1000, but it maxes out at 150 Mbps, which is also the claimed max for the Broadcom card I already have.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually the BIOS in my computer is dated in 2011. 

It looks like my best bet is either one of these:

Intel Centrino 1000 802.11b/g/n WLAN module 593530-001

Broadcom 4322 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN module 582564-001

Both are claimed to be 802.11n 1x2 MIMO with link speed up to 300 Mbps.

I just bought the Intel 1000 for $6.00 + free shipping. System pull from a DV7-4000 series. Even if it doesn't work I'm not out much.

Thanks for the response.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

You know the whitelist in BIOS and your machine was built in year 2010 therefore the chance to upgrade to other internal wifi card is very, very, very, very slim to none.

USB dongle could be an option.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Actually the BIOS in my computer is dated in 2011. 

It looks like my best bet is either one of these:

Intel Centrino 1000 802.11b/g/n WLAN module 593530-001

Broadcom 4322 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN module 582564-001

Both are claimed to be 802.11n 1x2 MIMO with link speed up to 300 Mbps.

I just bought the Intel 1000 for $6.00 + free shipping. System pull from a DV7-4000 series. Even if it doesn't work I'm not out much.

Thanks for the response.

HP Recommended

To follow up, I installed the Intel Centrino 1000 wifi card, which was pulled from another HP DV7-4xxx series and it works. I now get up to 144 Mbps or double what I had with the Broadcom 4313 bgn card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.