Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I seem to have a process called hpnetworkcommunicator.exe running continuously (i.e. the "thinking icon on the mouse pointer kepps flicking on).  It's very irritating and only apperared after I bought and installed one of your wireless printers.  what is it for, and can I disable it?  Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Try disabling the scan activation by following the steps below:

1. Open the HP software by clicking on the desktop icon or by opening it from the programs folder <All Programs>HP>Product>

2. Navigate to the Heading Scanner Actions in the software and click on the link titled Manage Scan to Computer

3. Disable the activation and uncheck the box to automatically restart the activation when you log back in.

Keep the scan deactivated unless you need to scan, at which time simply enable the activation by reversing the steps above.

Set ink alerts to show only when you print if it is not already. To do this, open the HP software and click on estimated ink levels.

The printer toolbox appears - Select the advanced settings tab

On the advanced settings tab, make sure the default is set to 'Only show me ink alerts when I print'. Let me know if that has any impact

I was an HP employee

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks.

View solution in original post

66 REPLIES 66
HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  Just installed a wireless printer the other day, and now this process is driving me crazy.  Killing it doesn't seem to work, but suspending it does.  I'd like to know how to turn if off permanently.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Just installed PhotoSmart 7515.  I installed the driver on my work laptop as well.  So now both my home computer and work laptop has this annoying process running.  I constantly get the hour glass coming off and on.  And you can see HPNetworkCommunicator.exe appear in the Window XP processes list when this happens.

I turned off the scanner task that was in the system tray so that it won't auto-start with Windows.  However, that did not turn off this process.

I called HP Support at 800-474-6836 and he was of no help.  I called him from work so I did not have my printer serial number with me.  He insisted he needed my printer's serial number to be of assistance.  I don't know why you would need a serial number to help with a process or driver installed in Windows.

Very frustrating.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I had exactly the same issue on both Windows XP and Vista after installing drivers for my new HP Deskjet 3070 B611 series.

I found a way of stopping this hourglass thing from happening...

Temporary solution...
Rename one of the following (in this order)

Either 
1) C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPNetworkCommunicator.exe

Or
2) C:\Program Files\HP\HP Deskjet 3070 B611 series\Bin\HPNetworkCommunicator.exe

Just rename the filename from HPNetworkCommunicator.exe to anything else (eg. TempHPNetworkCommunicator.exe). It may take a few attempts as this seems to be attempted to be launched every 10 seconds or so).

Not sure of the implications on the wireless-printer-use aspect yet but I'd rather go wired if I need to, as long as I don't get the hourglass! 🙂

Hope that helps

Cheers

Zaf

HP Recommended

I realize that its probably needed to contact the printer, but why does it always start up then stop?

Is there a reason why HP doesnt always have it running like ScanToPCActivationApp.exe, or limit how often it starts up?

HP Recommended
I have exactly the same problem. Just bought an HP wireless printer for Christmas and loaded up the software onto my laptop running windows 7. The blue circle runs now every 10 seconds and I identified through the task manager that it was the hp network communicator. If I disable this I cannot connect with the printer. It would be useful to have hp offer some solution to this problem.
HP Recommended

Same here, added my wireless printer and now i have to enjoy the blue circle every 10 seconds so I'm adding myself to the list of people hoping for a fix.

HP Recommended

Ok so somehow i managed to fix the issue, trouble is I'm not sure how.  What I did was to undertake step 1 of the Advanced tuning recommended by http://www.windowsanswers.net/articles/cg-advanced1, which indicates a number of Windows services that can be closed down to improve performance. I went through the list not expecting Net Communicator to be affected and bingo - problem solved.  However as I said I don't know which of the services was causing the problem, maybe someone with a bit more time can go through one at a time and let everyone else know?  (and me as I have another PC that's affected!)

HP Recommended

Hello philb54

Thanks for offering a solution to this problem, but it has not worked for me. I have my main PC running windows XP and laptop on windows 7. I keep them all up to date with software, but the hp network communicator is having the same effect on both of them. When I load the task manager, I see that it appears every 10 seconds for about 10 seconds continuously when they are on.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

I have encountered the same problem with my Photosmart 7510 after loading the software disk supplied.      I found that if I turn the printer on first and then turn on the pc or laptop and log on, the recurring timer does not flicker on and off, even if the printer is then turned off.    However, once the laptop or pc is turned off, it is necessary to repeat the same operation each time, ie turn the printer on first.    It seems to me that the problem is caused by the printer attempting to communicate wirelessly with the laptop or pc (not vice versa), and once this has been established the recurring timer stops.     Until HP find a permanent fix solution give this a try and let me know if it helps you.   I am running on Windows 7

Brian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.