Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have recently been having issues after a windows 10 update messed with my WiFi. I decided to go back to windows 8 bought the recovery disc, installed it and was back on line. Awesome, but just a little while ago I started having the same issue. Right now I am connected to my WiFi using a USB wireless adapter. Why can't I connect without it. I assumed going back to windows 8 would get rid of the problem connecting. Could it be my realtek  adapter itself?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @scorpiotimes2,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! Smiley Happy I reviewed the post about wifi issues on the computer. It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb effort, splendid troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Do you experience frequent wireless disconnects or has it stopped working completely?
  • Have you updated the bios and the wifi drivers for the Realtek wifi adapter?
  • Please let me know the complete model# or product# of the unit for me to assist you better.

For starters please try all the prescribed steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03535285 and check if this does the trick, ignore any step that has already been performed.

If it does not please try this link and perform the steps from this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

It is very much possible that the computer’s wifi card is faulty and that is pretty much the reason why it is not working despite having performed a complete system recovery to factory settings.

Finally, if nothing works, then you’ve been amazingly wise by procuring a US wifi adapter as it is very cost effective and economical. That was a very smart move on your part and hats off to you for a job brilliantly done. You should have actually hit the nail its head deducing that the wifi adapter on the computer is faulty which is an amazing feat from a customer who is gifted with profound technical expertise. Kudos to you. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.  

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @scorpiotimes2,

Thanks for stopping by the HP forums. Good day! Smiley Happy I reviewed the post about wifi issues on the computer. It will be a delight to assist you here. Smiley Happy

Superb effort, splendid troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting.  Kudos to you on that score. Smiley Happy  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Do you experience frequent wireless disconnects or has it stopped working completely?
  • Have you updated the bios and the wifi drivers for the Realtek wifi adapter?
  • Please let me know the complete model# or product# of the unit for me to assist you better.

For starters please try all the prescribed steps from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03535285 and check if this does the trick, ignore any step that has already been performed.

If it does not please try this link and perform the steps from this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

It is very much possible that the computer’s wifi card is faulty and that is pretty much the reason why it is not working despite having performed a complete system recovery to factory settings.

Finally, if nothing works, then you’ve been amazingly wise by procuring a US wifi adapter as it is very cost effective and economical. That was a very smart move on your part and hats off to you for a job brilliantly done. You should have actually hit the nail its head deducing that the wifi adapter on the computer is faulty which is an amazing feat from a customer who is gifted with profound technical expertise. Kudos to you. Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.  

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry I haven't replied before now. I ironically got a message today to update a number of things including the bios, the realtek adapter and a couple of other things. I did the updates, was able to connect to my wifi, but a few minutes later I lost the connection. It just loses connection, says no networks available. As soon as I plugged the USB wifi adapter in, I connected right away. So I am thinking it is infact the network card.

As long as I can get online I am happy. The USB adapter seems to be working just fine.  Thank you so much for replying to me. Have a great day!  

HP Recommended

Hi! @scorpiotimes2, I am the @A4Apollo. It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps.

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist your better.

Please try the steps recommended below.

Open Device manager->network adapters->Realtek RTL8188EE 801.11b/g/n WiFi adapter->properties->advanced->wireless mode=Change it to IEEE 802.11b

If the issue still persists, Try assigning a static IP and check if the issue still persists.Try contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

Control Panel > set icon view > Network and Sharing >
Left-Click on your active WiFi connection (in blue next to the word "Connections" >
In WiFi Status >> Click on Properties >
In WiFi Properties >> Scroll down the middle section and look for "Internet Protocol Version 4" >
Left-Click to Highlight the selection > click Properties >
Click to select "Use the following IP Address:" >
Enter your IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information
Click to select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
Click OK to save and exit

Restart / Reboot the computer and check if the issue persists.

I'll watch your reply!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apparently the updates do in fact work. I logged on yesterday and have had wifi ever since without the USB adapter. Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

HP Recommended

Hello, @scorpiotimes2

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Please consider marking the post that helped you sole the issue as "Accepted solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumps up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you also have a great day and even better tomorrow 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi @scorpiotimes2,

Brilliant troubleshooting, Stupendous effort and fabulous persistence to get the issue resolved. I am very happy for you. 🙂

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂  It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

I honestly computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂 If you genuinely think my efforts helped to resolve the issue for you please mark my post as an accepted solution for several others to benefit.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.