Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Good aftenoon,

I' trying to solve issues on this notebook, since I've upgraded it to windows 10, related to:

• freezes while using it,
  • problems on shut-down or suspension.

I've tried several suggestions read on the forum, and went through many reinstalls of several drivers, both updated or downgrading to the previous releases, trying to find a stable combination:

• Intel IME,
  • Broadcom wireless driver,
  • intel chipset,
  • HP driveguard protection,
  • intel HD video driver.

Now everything is updated to the most recent ones. The only two things I've been able to solve are:

• shut down - power saving issues, by installing the latest IME driver from Intel (11.0.0.1181),
  • the HP 3d Driveguard, following the hint to uninstall everything (twice) before reinstalling the latest driver from HP (suggestion found in the Forum). Driveguard was not functioning since Windows 10 upgrade, without me realizing that. I hoped that this last achievement would have helped in fixing the whole mess.

Yesterday, it seemed that the configuration reached was a stable one, and I was able to operate (heavily) the whole day without any problem. But today the notebook hanged again, showing wireless failure in the notification tray area. Now I think its clear that the real big problem resides in the wireless module alone!

I don't know what else to try to make the broadcom function properly. I've followed every suggestion, related to transmission power, AP compatibility settings, power management settings, and so on. Seems to be something wrong between chipset and wifi card, that is not possible to fix. The problem appears without any warning, after a while or almost immediately after a reboot. It's random and impossible to spot.

Reading through the Forum, seems that windows 10 reinstall from scratch does not fix issues like that, but is the last try I can run before sending the notebook to HP for hardware assistance (which eventually I will do before warranty expires). And I won't go back to windows 8.1 (that may be a solution, going for factory reset), since last july I bought the notebook with the assurance that the machine was ready to upgrade to windows 10.

I'm looking for a wise alternative, before wasting other days to no avail

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally, I went for the full Windows 10 reinstallation, via media creation tool, as suggested.

After setup, I needed to update the wifi driver in order to make wifi work properly (sensitivity much lower than expected). Now, after over a month of extensive usage, everything seems to be working properly, cable networking included.

The only issue that still remains is related to power saving features, with the notebook unable to go on standby and resume properly. As done before, I've downgraded the Intel IME driver to the 9.xx one downloaded from HP service site.

After all, it would have been better to go for the media creation tool before, instead of trying to adapt the initial upgraded configuration. Due to this experience, I've done the same to other notebooks, finding it very beneficial.

Thanks a lot to HP for assistance on this forum; I will stay tuned and wait for the Intel IME conflict solution, eventually.

Andrea Silenzi

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hello @silenzi71,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! The Forums are a great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the multiple issues you are having with the notebook, and wanted to assist you!  I understand that you were able to get some of these issues resolved already, but is still having trouble with the WiFi.

If you believe the issue to be hardware related, try testing the hardware for failure.  You can use the document provided here for help:  

HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 😎

Test the WLAN Module, and the Processor.  If the WLAN Module is not detected, then you can try checking it, to verify that it is still connected properly.  If the tests are good, then try reviewing the following document, to see if there are any steps that you may have missed: 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Good evening @sdf15, thank you very much for the prompt suggestions.

I've already tested the system with the latest HP diagnostic UEFI, without finding any issue. Everything seems fine on the hardware point of view.

As for the troubleshooting procedures, the only step I did not go through is the system restore one. Since the system does not show a restore point that I may use for this purpouse (they are to close), I need to do a full windows 10 reinstall. I will plan it during the weekend, if the system keeps freezing.

I'll keep you updated; have a good day too.

Andrea

HP Recommended

Hello @silenzi71,

Thank you for the quick reply!

That is no problem.  When you try reinstalling Windows 10, try installing using the Media Creation Tool.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hello,

just to let you know that, after two weeks of seamless working with the updated drivers, the notebook hanged again, while using the browser; the wifi connection broke, and the related tray icon reported no wifi card available.

So, it's time to give up ad reinstall Windows 10, as I already planned to do; I've waited until now just to check if the system has reached a stable configuration.

Next week-end, I hope to reach and end to this quest; otherwise, I'll have no other option than send it to assistance.

HP Recommended

Hello @silenzi71,

Thank you for the information!

Please continue to keep me posted on your quest of reinstalling Windows 10.  Do not forget about the Media Creation Tool, provided in my previous post.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

First trial with windows 10 reinstallation. I've given a try to windows restore option, saving personal data, before going for the media creation tool and a complete wipe (that would be my last chance before giving up).

While preparing to do that, I was connected via ethernet cable, and I noticed that the net card periodically was reset by the system (which switched to wireless mode for a short period, then restored the wired one). The event was percievable only watching the tray icon; no impact observed in using the system.

Once reinstalled the system, this annoying and frequent event kept going on, even updating wireless and wired net card. So, I've decided to deactivate the Realtek PCIe FE network card, and see if the system gets stable. It may be that the two card are conflicting each other.

Meanwhile, I will proceed in reinstalling the other drivers that are still missing. I wonder if the Intel Smart Connection Tool is not necessary (and so the related driver), and if so if it is wise to disable the related bios option (in order not to load or search the driver at all). For the moment, I will wait to install it until further suggestions (and crossing fingers for the solution of the issue).

HP Recommended

Hello @ silenzi71,

Thank you for keeping me updated.  After installing Windows 10, are you having any current issues with the WiFi?  If the system is stable, and you can connect through WiFi, then I would not worry about any further updates, until you know for sure if the issue is caused by the updated software, or the WLAN Module itself.  I understand that the hardware test came back with no issues.  However, there may have been a change, since reinstalling Windows 10.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Actually, the system with the wired network disabled seems to work properly. I shall wait at least a week to be sure about that.

I still have a minor issue about suspension, that for the moment I've overcame enabling ibrid suspension. I will care about this afterwards (maybe downgrading the IME driver, as many suggest), if the wifi workaround demonstrates to be effective.

If so, I should find a way to enable the ethernet card without hanging the system. I prefer to use ethernet connection when at the desk, switching to wireless one when needed; at the moment, with this workaround, is not possible.

HP Recommended

Finally, I went for the full Windows 10 reinstallation, via media creation tool, as suggested.

After setup, I needed to update the wifi driver in order to make wifi work properly (sensitivity much lower than expected). Now, after over a month of extensive usage, everything seems to be working properly, cable networking included.

The only issue that still remains is related to power saving features, with the notebook unable to go on standby and resume properly. As done before, I've downgraded the Intel IME driver to the 9.xx one downloaded from HP service site.

After all, it would have been better to go for the media creation tool before, instead of trying to adapt the initial upgraded configuration. Due to this experience, I've done the same to other notebooks, finding it very beneficial.

Thanks a lot to HP for assistance on this forum; I will stay tuned and wait for the Intel IME conflict solution, eventually.

Andrea Silenzi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.