Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought a new HP ProBook 450 G1... running Windows 7...I inserted a USB flash drive to copy some some files from my other compute, and got the Windows Messgae "You don't currently have access to open this folder", then I press the "continue" button, and get the message "You have been denied permission to access this folder", and it says "To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab".

I click on the "security tab" link, but there is not any "security tab" in the properties menu for the flash drive.

My logon is the administrator and has all accesses checked'.

I also tried other flash drives and a USB harddrive, and access was denied on all of them.

Not sure if this is a Windows 7 issue or an issue with the pre-loaded HP software, which I will probably unistall, but waiting to see if you have an easy fix for this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It was the pre-installed "HP Device Manager" causing the denied access.

For some reason, at first, the proper ballon messages were not being disaplayed, but later after some restarts, I noticed the message.

So I uninstalled it, and I now have access to the external drives... sure don't need that hassle of entering my password everytime I attach a flash driver or external hard drive (and it only giving me access for 15 minutes).

Maybe there's was a way to change the parameters within  the HP Device Manager... but ain't nobody got time for that ! 🙂

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

It was the pre-installed "HP Device Manager" causing the denied access.

For some reason, at first, the proper ballon messages were not being disaplayed, but later after some restarts, I noticed the message.

So I uninstalled it, and I now have access to the external drives... sure don't need that hassle of entering my password everytime I attach a flash driver or external hard drive (and it only giving me access for 15 minutes).

Maybe there's was a way to change the parameters within  the HP Device Manager... but ain't nobody got time for that ! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, I'm having the same issue with my new HP and I wanted to make sure I'm uninstalling the correct program.  I found in programs "HP Device Access Manager" which looks like "HP Device Manager".  I just want to make sure before I uninstall the incorrect thing.

HP Recommended

Well that fixed the problem for me, and 5-day-old ZBook.   (I'm hoping "Device Access Manager" isn't important for something else!)

Such a basic thing. This is like buying a car with an engine that won't start if two passengers get in the back seat.

Doesn't anybody at HP test the products before they start shipping them? Is there not a Software QA Department?  Too much presure from Marketing to get the product out the door?

HP Recommended

I've been using my new HP notebook for several months now... it's running fine (I think and hope!) without the HP Device Manager software.

Still wondering if there is/was a way of eliminating the problem without uninstalling the HP Device Manager software... and what the purpose of the software is/was for that matter !

Would be nice if an HP tech would comment, but they must be too busy fixing stuff... :Surprise: :Wink:

HP Recommended

Hi All

We bought about 20 HP laptops in the office and only one person so far had this "you don't have permission to access this folder" issue.

Finally i found the solution

1.go to "Device Access Manager"

2. go to "Device Permission" / Removable Storage (Ex: USB drives)

3> change USB permission of "Gropus on this PC (" Adminsitrator" and "Users" ) to "Allow Full Access" from drop down list

This should resolve your issues

Cheers

Sagara

HP Recommended

Please give more specific steps relating to Windows 7 Pro.  I don't have a "device access manager". There is a device manager, but it doesn't have the next step you state called device permission. None of your steps seems to be in my system. Help! Thanks!

HP Recommended

Using windows 7 the option is Device manager What then? Some advice from HP support on this issue would be good!!

HP Recommended

It is incredibly annoying that no one at HP has answered this question yet (and it appears people all around the internet have been asking for years).  I had to stumble around my computer for a few hours to figure out how to solve this problem without uninstalling the HP Device Access Manager.  Here are the steps to granting access to your USB storage devices (Windows 7).

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Open System and Security
  3. Open HP Client Security
  4. In the third column, select device permissions.
  5. There will be an icon titled "change" on the top right of the Access column, click it.
  6. Click yes on the pop up window
  7. On the access drop down menu adjacent to "Removable Storage (ex. USB drives)", click "allow - full access"

You now have access to your USB storage devices.  Thanks for not listening to your customers HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you! That was a lifesaver. I agree, where is HP support on this issue. This program has been nothing but trouble so far.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.