Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you, Sparkles1.

I did a full recovery back to factory.  The issue still persists even with all the batteries that I have tried (including the brand new HP battery).

Can you recommend a specific BIOS update or Power Manager driver to use?  W7 professional, 64bit

HP Recommended

Hi dm1zalex,

Thank you for your reply.

Here is a link to the HP Pavilion dm1z-4100 CTO Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers, where you can get the latest recommended Bios updates.  Updating the BIOS

Have you tried a different electrical outlet?

Have you tried a different adapter?

If your bios is up to date,and you tried a different adapter with no change, it must be the motherboard.

You have ruled out::

software by doing the recovery

the battery as it is the same with other batteries. and the adapter by trying a different one, then the only thing remaining is the motherboard,

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you, Sparkles1.

I did everything you noted, below, and updated the BIOS.  Same issue, it still will not charge while on.  The only way I can use it by hibernating, unplugging, removing battery, replacing battery, plugging back in (and leaving off until charged).

Very disappointed and I am not sure I will be confident in purchasing a premium HP again.  Everything else is perfect on the machine.

Any recommendation for a reasonable place to send it for repair, assuming it may be hardware?  I am in the los angeles area.

_______

Have you tried a different electrical outlet? - YES

Have you tried a different adapter? - YES

If your bios is up to date,and you tried a different adapter with no change, it must be the motherboard.

You have ruled out::

software by doing the recovery - YES

the battery as it is the same with other batteries. and the adapter by trying a different one, then the only thing remaining is the motherboard,

HP Recommended

Good Morning dm1zalex,

I regret that you have determined it is the motherboard and will require repair.  I suggest contacting HP support for assistance.

If you wish to test the adapter just to rule it out here is a ink to assist you.  Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region Technical Support Sitemap .

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Before you send it off for repairs be sure the actual  power adapter cord is good. The part that goes into the laptop can be defective.Some of these have known issues and trying to get a replacment is incredibly difficult. I had the same issue of not charging while plugged in. It was months getting resolved.There is another thread about replacment power adapters on here. Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.