The HP Community is here for you.
05-21-2009 03:33 AM
1) Download SP29586.exe: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp29501-30000/sp29586
2) Run it, Create a directory c:\ swsetup
3) Once all the Files are extracted DO NOT INSTALL
4) Now Goto the Start Menu Click on Devices and Printers, the Click on the Name you have called your machine this will be marked will a yellow triangle as the sound driver windows 7 has install already is a realtek ac 97 which is not working,
5) Once your Machinename you will see a general tab and and hardware tab select the hardware tab.
6) Look for the Realtek ac 97 under the Device functions, select that and click properties,
7) Now tab to the Driver, now click update driver,
8) Select the option let me pick from a list of devices drivers, now click have disk
9) Click on Browse select the following location Swsetup\SP29586\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP and click on smwdmCH6.inf
10)Now the Soundmax Driver should come up select ok and next. Now your Sound will work
Solved! View Solution.
Re: Compaq Presario R3000 how to get the sound to work with Windows 7 RC
12-28-2013 03:19 PM
I did it on my Compaq Presario R3000 which had Window XP and I installed Window 7 Enterprise 32 bit on it and it working great with the exception of the Audio which I just resolved but I still having problem with the Base System Device Drivers.
I hope this help you with the sound problem.
10-24-2009 12:26 AM
12-12-2009 12:23 AM
I am basicaly having the same problem with my labtop. I tried the following above and yet I still have not been able to get my sound to work. I have had some problems with my power and sound cards before but after I reinstalled windows my graphics card and sound card have not been working to their full potential. I thaught that it was a 64 bit graphics card, but now I am not so sure. I had to jostle the power cord in the back till I mannaged to find a perfect spot to keep the computer running. Before the reinstallation I had to put pressure on the left side of the computer to get the sound to work.. but even then it still came in and out.. "The sound that is." I can see the same driver in the codex menue and it is yellow but, what you stated above did not work.
It says (Cannot continue the hardware update) The wizard cannot find a better match for your hardware than the software that you curently have installed. and then tells me to keep the current software. My sound Icon does not show up when I go to the settings.... I can't play diablo 2 on this no idea why... But my screen is choppy when I scroll through internet sites and it did not do that before. I have a 400mbs connection .... here is my computer information. :Compaq Presario R3000 Intel pent4 2.80ghz 2.80ghz 1.12GB ram and im running on windows xp2 professional.
01-20-2012 02:54 PM
it worked bravley , but just accord special attencion to the 8-th step from the tutorial . You must obtain ``let me chose from list , then look for realtek 97 provider , than chose have disk . Dont update driver from control panel sound list - IT WONT WORK !!!! BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE 8-TH STEP .
thx dude for this tutorial !
04-29-2013 05:33 PM
when I tab hardware and select Realtek ac 97 I don't get the option to update drivers. I tried device manger also and when I get to the last folder it doesn't expand to let me select the smwdmCH6.inf
04-30-2013 07:24 AM
04-30-2013 09:15 AM
r3360us. and windows 7 Premium
but it's moot now. I got a valid xp pro and it's all good. I'm planning to sell this unit and stick to newer units. that all think windows 7 is awesome and have a love affair with it. Thanks anyway
04-30-2013 03:36 PM
08-18-2013 08:46 AM
I am a Compaq user with using "Compaq Presario R3000"
I have recently installed Win 7 on my Laptop and a huge problem with
all the drivers including following:
Realtek AC'97 Audio
ATi Radeon 9200
Kind help Urgently Needed.