Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Eventually mine burned itself out after all the overheating.  Got onto Ebay and found a 25 dollar unit in Singapore from one of those on-line web stores.  It's a genuine HP unit and only warms up to a comfortable moderate temperature and is still working after a year of service.

Sure beat the hell out of paying upwards of $80 to HP for them to replace it.

I'm guessing there was a faulty batch of power adaptors that came with these particular computers.

HP Recommended

Contact HP.  I have a Pavillon dv4. I've been dealing with them for almost 2 months to resolve the problem with my overheating AC Adapter.  I was told this wasn't a common problem.   I received a 3rd AC Adapter and tried it this morning for the first time.  It's hot but not as hot as the first 2.  I will try it a few more times and if it hasn't resolved the problem I will be calling HP again. 

HP Recommended

I just bought a HP Pavilion dt5 laptop (core i3), and the ac adapter gets so hot that I cannot hold it in my hand.  

I am not sure how this thread is closed, seems there was no resolutions.

I noticed that someone mentioned it could be the battery with a short of some type.  I'm going to exchange the laptop today.  Not being able to hold the ac adapter certainly doesn't seem appropriate.  

It is a 65w adapter.

Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com

HP Recommended

I've had my HP Pavilion dv6-1359wm Entertainment Notebook PC for 11 months now, and my power supply which came with it is beginning to overheat now as well. Sometimes, it simply stops charging, allowing the battery to drain down to critical % levels, which causes a shut down. This seems to be a pretty serious issue with these laptops. Is there anyone with HP that can tell us what to do about this? Short of buying a new ac adapter which will only do the same thing in a couple months, that is. After checking, my ac adapter is a 65W , part # 519328-003, to be replaced with part#463958-001. I am deeply saddened for those people who lost much to house fires, due to these faulty ac adapters.

HP Recommended

I just purchased the same laptop in december dv5t with an i3. I have the same problem with my charger. I contacted hp who argued with me for about an hour explaining that this issue doesnt seem plausible. They told me that if there were no wries sticking out of my charger and it was not smoking they would not exchange it for another one. After much arguing with them they finally agreed to send me a "new" one which was actually just a refurbished charger and now i am still having the same problem of the overheating. I am reluctant to call them back at this point.

HP Recommended

yes im very concerned about this. this is a safety issue and I am worried about leaving my computer to charge while i am not home. I dont know why hp cant help me. my laptop is only a month old. 😞

HP Recommended

I stuck a thermometer on the AC adapter and got 140 ~ 145 degree F.

I'm sure this isn't supposed to happen.

I took a picture that I'll upload later.

HP doesn't seem to assist on any of these forum pages -- am I missing something?  Is this just some forum that HP set up so people wouldn't complain on the open internet?  Doesn't make sense.

Hello?

{Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended

I HAVE A DV7 LAPTOP AND JUST EXPERIENCED A MELT DOWN, I WAS SITTING ON MY LEATHER SOFA THE ADAPTER EVER SINCE I PURCHASED IT WOJLD GET VERY HOT SO I WOULD PUT A CUSHION ON TOP OF THE LEATHER SO THE ADAPTER COULD REST ON IT WITH HOPES OF IT NOT DAMAGING THE SOFA... WELL I WAS TYPING AN EMAIL AND ALL OF A SUDDEN I SMELL THIS STRONG ORDER.. I TURN AROUND AND THE ADAPTER IS SMOKING , TOTALLY MELTED ALONG WITH A HOLE IN THE CUSHION!!! WHAT A SCARE! 

HP Recommended

I have a dv5, and my power supply gets so hot that I am not able to touch it (registered 150 deg F with a kitchen thermometer).  What to do?

HP Recommended

I have a 320 harddrive in my hp pavillion. Someone mentioned getting a larger than 65 watt charger..like 90 watts.

Where would one find such a charger, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Jim W

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.