Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 1 of 114 (10,129 Views)

HP DM3 - Mouse Freeze's up when the computer wakes up from sleep mode.

Hi Guys,

I just had a DM3 with the 2.26 sp9300 intel chip built for me and every time the laptop goes to sleep and wakes up the mouse freezes up with a magnifying glass and its impossible for the mouse to do anything.  I have to tab over to the task manager and tab down to the power button to restart my PC and than it works again. Anyone know whats going on?  Driver problem? any updates yet?

Thanks !!

Jon

Tutor
Message 2 of 114 (10,098 Views)

Re: HP DM3 - Mouse Freeze's up when the computer wakes up from sleep mode.

anyone else having this problem???
Grad Student
Message 3 of 114 (10,091 Views)

is this an external mouse or the built in touchpad?
click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Tutor
Message 4 of 114 (10,098 Views)

Hello,

I picked up my DM3 from PCWorld last night and I'm having the same problem every time (4 times) when I've closed the lid and re-open it again.  The magnifying glass appears and I can't move the pointer using the trackapd and have to restart the machine to gain control again. 

Any word from HP on a solution?

thansk,

Cat

Tutor
Message 5 of 114 (10,086 Views)

Yes !! That is exactley what mine is doing. I read online in other forums that its happening to a lot of people. I owned mine for about 2 hours and it happened the first time my computer went to sleep....I feel bad for the people who dont know how to tab over to the task bar and restart, This is a major problem and Hp needs to fix this asap. Im assuming that all the dm3's shipped out with this problem. UPDATE MOUSE DRIVER !!!!!
Tutor
Message 6 of 114 (10,083 Views)

I've now disabled the multitouch function as suggested above so will keep you updated.  Lets's hope HP are watching forum and getting these complaints officially logged and fixed asap!

cheers,

Cat

Tutor
Message 7 of 114 (10,018 Views)

STILL WAITING HP ?????????????
Tutor
Message 8 of 114 (10,013 Views)

We need to perform few steps in order to get the touchpad function after it wakes up from sleep mode.

Here are the steps:

Remove the battery.

Remove the power adaptor.

press and hold the power button for 3 minutes.

Then reconnect the battery and then the AC adaptor and then power on the Notebook.

This must fix the issue. In order to recheck that the issue does not occur again we can perform few more steps.

Click on start

Type device manager in the start search bar if vista and click on run and type devmgmt.msc in the run command if XP

Then hit enter.

You will find the device manager window open.

Then right click on the plus sign next to mice and other pointing devices and then click on power management tab.

Then uncheck the box in front of allow this device to wake up the computer.

This must surely fix the issue.

If the issue is fixed please tag this solution as the accepted solution.

Top Student
Message 9 of 114 (9,960 Views)

Re: HP DM3 - Mouse Freezes up when the computer wakes up from sleep mode.

I had the exact same problem. I actually called HP and they claimed that this was not a known issue. After updating the BIOS and reinstalling the driver without success HP advised me to reinstall the OS. This was a brand new computer so I just exchanged it for a new one. The second one did the exact same thing when coming out of sleep mode. It didn't happen every time, but often enough to be annoying, and always requiring a reboot. I finally was able to fix the problem by unchecking all of the multitouch options in the mouse setup. I hope HP fixes this soon because I would like to use multitouch. For now at least I'm able to use sleep, which is one of the coolest features in Windows 7.

Also, for all those people that say the trackpad sucks, just try adjusting the settings. It takes some time to get used to but after awhile it's fine. Other than the above issue I love my new laptop!

Student
Message 10 of 114 (9,909 Views)

[ Edited ]

I just exchanged it for a new one. The second one did the exact same thing when coming out of sleep mode. It didn't happen every time, but often enough to be annoying, and always requiring a reboot. I finally was able to fix the problem by unchecking all of the multitouch options in the mouse setup. I hope HP fixes this soon because I would like to use multitouch. For now at least I'm able to use sleep, which is one of the coolest features in Windows 7.

<text deleted>
Message Edited by WendyM on 11-12-2009 10:51 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation