Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey!

I'm a computer programmer and I'm using an HP DV7  just as you are. Yes, the fan noise is extremely annoying and it drives me nuts too. I've been swearing and cussing during video calls when I can't hear the person speaking to me. I was using Windows 7 at the time, pretty surprising that the newest version of Windows is that poorly constructed in the CPU management. I've found a tireless solution to the problem. I didn't spend a penny either. This is what I did: I decided that I need a new operating system, without paying a penny. I figured it was time to start using a linux operating system. I knew about Ubuntu. The installation took about 23 minutes, and the operating system is beautiful! My CPU usage was running lower than ever before. You can barely hear the fan noise and watch movies from Hulu without having to turn the volume full blast! Video calls are made easy and the laptop doesn't burn my lap anymore. I reccomend Ubuntu, it's easy, free, and so on forth. Give it try: http://www.ubuntu.com/ 

Hope that helps,

-Matt

HP Recommended

Hi

I just fixed this problem with my hp d7 Pavilion

I was having the same problems discribed here. After about a year the fans running all the time, very loud. It was getting really hot on the left side and burning my fingers. It even shutdown once due to overheating.

I started reading forums and getting worried because it seems like everyone was having this problem. Maybe I made a bad purchase... to bad I really liked my laptop.

So then I figured what the heck, its going to die anyway might as well open it up. I'm an electronics tech in the navy, I should be able figure this out.

So I went online and found a youtube video that showed me how to open it. This video was not quite right as I learned, but it was close enough that I figured it out. (some of the screws were in different places, and it had 2 hard drives. I only had 1)

Once I got it open I still couldnt tell what was wrong. It looked clean inside, and nothing was melted, or damaged in any way.

Eventually I lifted up the motherboard and got ahold of the fan. Still looked clean, but there was a heatsink attached to the side of the fan, and it looked like there was a tiny bit of dust in between.

So I took apart the fan, and found a solid wall of dust and hair between the fan and the heatsink. It was blocking almost all the air from getting through. I pulled it out with some tweezers and put my laptop back together.

Its running as good as the day I bought it.

I'm not sure if I could have knocked that wall loose by blowing air up into the fan, or not. if you catch it early enough, it should work, but if you are to late I dont think it will work, and you might have to pull it apart.

If you dont feel comfortable pulling apart your laptop you could probably just direct the repair shop to look between the fan and the heatsink, because unless they pull the fan itself apart, they wont see it. It looked perfectly clean, and the fan has a grey foam around it that blends in with the dust, so its hard to even see the dust.

I hope this helps some of you out there.

HP Recommended

I am having a bad problem i have 3 scars where the computer actually burned my thigh i have a disability that causes loss of feeling so had no clue and when I called hp and told them my "LAPTOP" burned my lap the response was I should never use it on my lap??? Am I the only person that That makes no sense???

HP Recommended
Hi I've got a DV7 and and the has always been loud, now it's turning off. Can someone help?
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv7 with an Intel I7 processor, it's an incredible piece of crap. This is my first HP laptop and will be the last one for sure.

The fan is always on even when the cpu is idle and once, when doing some graphics work, the cpu reched 100 degrees!!!!

I hope I can find someone to sell it to and buy something from a more serious brand...

HP support, are you reading this forum? Do you ever answer to customers?

HP Recommended

This fan on my HP Pavilion dv7 is louder than our refrigerator when it's running, and the fridge is twenty years old!!!!!!!

Has anyone had luck with sending the **bleep** thing back to HP for repari or replacement?/?

HP Recommended

Experiencing the same prob with my HP Pavillion DV7.  Overheating, incessant noise from fan etc, failing to shut off automatically when unit is shut down.  Unit shutting down of its own accord etc.

Have had heatsink replaced to no avail.....

Can't understand how HP have not issued a recall notice on these units due to the overheating issue it must be a fire hazzard?  I seem to recall an other large world renowned manufacturer recalling products due to fire hazzard associated with battery packs not so long ago..

HP Recommended

just sold mine on Jaybrokers. . .purchased ASUS G74sx  zoom zoom and silent.

good luck everyone--bye bye HP

Serenity Now--Steve

HP Recommended

I had the same problem, eventually I decided to buy an Asus... I have to say that Asus so far is on another planet, better than hp under every aspect.

I also wrote a review of the Pavilion on http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LLYCOI/ref=cm_cr_thx_view 

HP Recommended

After reading all I decided to answer.

I will tell you now how to reduce temperature to 53 °C.

Click on battery icon... advanced settings... reduce cpu performance from 100% which is HP DEFAULT recommended value

to 67% and reduce all performance options there...There are combo boxes to select and APPLY there.

100% CPU value WHICH IS defaut HP recommended is too high. Change it 67%. It is highly enough.

it will work like a japanese watch. HP is the best of all marks I ever knew. 

françois gonenc

programmer

sarreguemines

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.