Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The choice is yours but I would stay away from HP. Take a look at PC World, PC Magazine, CNET or Consumer Reports for best choices and and best service records so that your money is well spent. 

HP Recommended

Same problem.  I did this and it fixed it:

1) Remove Battery (& unplug)

2) Remove Hard drive

3) Remove BIOS battery

4) Wait 2 minutes

5) Reconnect BIOS battery

6) Reconnect main battery

7) Boot with no Hard drive

😎 Turn off and reconnect everything else

9) Boot up - and it works

More information about Raleigh Computer Repair

HP Recommended

My last laptop was a dv2000 with the blank screen issue, the Nvidia video chip over heats over time and has to be refluxed to the motherboard!

Not something many can do as it needs to be completely dismantled etc.

this model was made with a design flaw as no heat compound connects this chip to the heat sink/fan, you can look on you tube and see many have had this issue, and few have succefully fixed it...or found a shop to fix it!

HP Recommended

What exactly do you mean by "remove BIOS" battery? the one on the motherboard?

HP Recommended

Hi these computers all defective mother boards the whole dv2000 and 9000 series, the graphics chip is the problem. Apparently a recall was done but they did not let anyone know, via mail like they did with the defective bateries that came out.

My guess is that it would have cost them too much to fix all the laptops so they kept it undercover.

HP Recommended

Hey, I have the same problem, when I power up my Pavilion dv2000, I have blue lights but the laptop never boot, I have listened something about a recall. How can I do the Recall.

HP Recommended

The nine-step fix did NOT work for my HP Pavillion dv7-1132nr.  Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

WITH LUCK, IT COULD BE AS SIMPLE AS RESEATING THE BATTERY.

1) I changed the battery in my daughter's dv2000 about three weeks ago.

2) At first the new battery seemed to work fine.  I then took it out and reinstalled the old battery, to check it with HP Battery Check - which I discovered on this occasion; I should have done this before replacing it, but I did not.

3) When I installed the new battery again, Battery Check started to give "Replace" for battery health status.

I did not pay much attention to this.  The Battery Charge icon indicated the it was "Not Charging", when the cursor was placed over it. 

4) Then, two or three weeks later, the screen remained blank when the notebook was started.  Hooked up a monitor to the notebook and it showed it to be working well.

5) Wasted a few hours researching the issue, and was about to start dissasembling the screen but I decided before to put the old (original) battery back in.  Did this and the screen came back to life at the next Start.

6) Installed the new battery again, removing and reseating it about four times in case there could be a dirty contact, and the screen kept working well.  After this, the status reported by Battery Check was "Good", at first, but then it went back again to "Replace" - will have to take this up with the battery vendor.

7) It's hard for me to figure out what would a faulty contact in the battery have to do with the screen not working, but it really looks like this was so.

By the way, if you had to remove the screen frame, like to get to the LCD inverter, here is a good reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT2GFVem_9U

Or, to replace the screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN3jNe8tphU

Both procedures seem to be a lot more simple than one thinks.

To get to Battery Check use:  Start > Help & Support > Troubleshooting Tools > Battery  Check

On the side, to say something good about HP, they did replace the motherboard on this dv2000 in 2009, under a "Limited Warranty Service Enhancement" - that seemed to respond to failure of motherboards in several models, due to overheating.  It was repaired, and shipped back, on the same day it arrived at HP.  This, after the notebook was already well past its warranty period  (had bought it refurbished with a 90 day warranty).  It had failed after only 18 months from purchase date.  It worked fine since this repair, till the issue described here, and is 4 years old now.  We did buy a laptop cooler shortly after the repair, and use it almost all the time.

Hope this may help someone.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

I recently had one to repair and it would not start up black screen. 

After another few attempts I opened the DVD at the side turned computer off and started again and it booted no problem?????? hope it helps

HP Recommended
I did all of this & it still doesn't work. Same black screen- all lights are on- fan- but nothing. Any other ideas cuz that one does not work. Be grateful for help.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.