Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I'm trying to help a friend with his laptop a Probook 6540b.

It won't boot and caps lock "blinking" continuously.

When I got it caps lock and num lock was "blinking" tre times... indicated memory problems, reseated the memory modules

and the the "tre time blinking" disappeared, but caps lock now blinking continuously and the only way to shot down the computer

is to disconnect the power.

Anyone with some ideas???

Janson 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you tried a hard reset? Where you disconnect the battery and anything else, unplug the notebook and then press down on the Power Button for 45 seconds before plugging it back in, but not the battery, and restarting. Hope this helps. Also fyi, an Hp Probook notebook is not considered a laptop.

'I am a :smileyhappy: volunteer!

If it were a rattler. . . . Rattle Snake, that is. . . .

HP Recommended

@SSDdrive wrote:

Hello,

Have you tried a hard reset? Where you disconnect the battery and anything else, unplug the notebook and then press down on the Power Button for 45 seconds before plugging it back in, but not the battery, and restarting. Hope this helps. Also fyi, an Hp Probook notebook is not considered a laptop.

If it were a rattler. . . . Rattle Snake, that is. . . .

Yes I have tried that... 

Thanks anyway.... and for Your information about Notebook 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello again,

Please try this link to restoring the bios:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Hope this helps!

If it were a rattler. . . .

HP Recommended

@SSDdrive wrote:

Hello again,

Please try this link to restoring the bios:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Hope this helps!

If it were a rattler. . . .

Thanks, but I have tried that to,  and from USB key.

Tried to reset "RTC" by removing battery, then when starts caps lock and num lock blink tvice, for BIOS error, then reboot and stop with black screen and caps lock "blinking...

Keepin on trying...  almost everything..

Janson

HP Recommended

A neighbor had the same problem and asked for my assistance.  I created a rescue disk using my HP desktop running Windows 7 64-bit.  Even though her HP laptop was running Windows 7 32-bit, the disk allowed me to boot into windows on her computer.  I then went to the HP web site and downloaded the latest BIOS and then flashed it to the BIOS chip following the instructions that came with the download.  Everything is working fine now.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
Had the same problem, solved with the following steps:
1) remove the battery
2) press power button
3) vacuum clean the ventilation window for about 1 min
Possibly the last step is the decisive one, since the air flow also cooled down the computer
HP Recommended
My HP 360x had the same problem. When I unplugged the power cord, problem solved...
HP Recommended

For me it was a memory problem. Before the PC wouldn't boot and the power LED was on and the caps lock was continuously blinking and the only way to turn it off was to take out the battery.

I replaced the RAM and set it into a different slot and it booted. I hope this helps you.

Thanks!

Update: The PC booted and once it rebooted the problem occurred again. Still troublehooting..

😞

HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem as truthizwizdom.

It boots once, then when rebooted the same problem occurs. It's like I have to change the hardware to let it boot.

I tried another harddrive, formatted the old one, updated the BIOS, did a hard reset but nothing works.

Did someone resolve this yet?

Cheers

Update [SOLVED]: I removed half of the RAM so the notebook could boot (no clue why this worked). Then I ran the 'SFC /scannow' command in the commandprompt (as administrator). It found and fixed an corrupted .cfg file. Now it works like a charm. Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.