Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have an HP dv6449 us and suddenly my wireless assistant isn't working, so therefore it will not pick up any network signals. The switch i use to turn the wireless assistant led light is orange when the switch is on and off. Also when i click on the HP wireless assistant program it doesn't respond and will not open. I see that many people have this same problem. I now have bought me an usb wireless network adapter so that I can use the internet and it works just fine. I also went to the HP site and updated like many people have recommeneded, but still nothing has changed. Could it be a problem with my wireless card?
49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

I noted that the Product # for your system is GA456UA#ABA. IF it matches what's actually on your system's service label, then you're one of the lucky ones, since that PN is on the list of affected systems eligible for the Limited Warranty Enhancement Service repair from HP.

The Dv6400 Series notebook is one of many others on the list for HP's Limited Warranty Service Enhancement Repair, which includes the following symptoms:

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:
  • The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.

Sound familiar? Check your Device Manager to be positive (Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters)

Check the Product # from your service label against the affected PN's in the link below carefully. Even though what I found matches, your actual PN on the label might be different. Dv6400 SERIES AFFECTED SYSTEM PRODUCT #'s

If your system Product # on your service label (under the notebook usually on the left side) matches that number (GA456UA#ABA), then go to this link and follow the instructions after Step 2.

HP Pavilion dv2000/dv6000/dv9000 Limited Warranty Service Enhancement

You may wish to follow the procedures below to check your BIOS, however, as a BIOS update was released to deal with some of the issues.

CHECKING YOUR BIOS FOR THE UPDATED VERSION

HP released BIOS updates to deal with the problems, but some needed to be repaired anyway, which is why they instituted the program. It's actually a much wider problem than they've been willing to admit, and I suspect that it goes beyond those systems that are on the list, but that's just me.

Check your BIOS version first and then update it to the latest version listed on the support page for your system configuration. To find your current BIOS installed version:

1. Go to Control Panel, Performance Information and Tools

2. Click on the Advanced Tools link on the left side.

3. In the Advanced Tools window, click on View Advanced System Details in System Information.

4. This will open the System Information window. Information in the summaries show all detailed information concerning your system, installed programs and hardware components.

5. Highlight System Summary if it isn't already.

6. Note the BIOS Version/Date.

Enter your System Product # in the field at this link: HP Online Customer Care

Select your OS if necessary, the click on the Software and Driver Downloads link. Scroll down the update list, until you find the BIOS update on the page. BIOS version F.3D for the Dv6000 series is the BIOS release pertaining to the listed problems. If your system doesn't have this update, then download and install it, then reboot. ***ALWAYS BACKUP RELEVANT FILES AND SAVE A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT BEFORE ANY BIOS UPDATES!!!***

I've already had one client with a bad Dv6000 system that was eligible; HP Fedex'd a suitable box for him to put his system in, with prepaid overnight shipping to HP; He boxed it up and Fedex'd it to them; HP serviced/repaired it and Fedex'd it back to him. The whole process took 3 days. He sent it on Tuesday, got it back on Friday. Not bad.

Let me know what you decide to do either way, if the BIOS works or if you decide to send it in. Let me know if you've got any questions or have any problems.

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply! My product number was actually listed and i am egible to send in my computer to HP for repair, so hopefully that will resolve things.
HP Recommended

They were pretty fast with my client's system. As I said, he sent it to them on Tuesday and had it back on Friday.

Make sure you back up or make a mirror copy of your drive, because they will recover it to its base configuration, including the drive. So if you want any files to  keep, do it before you send it.

Let me know how you make out. 

Primarily of the Ancient School -Training by HP, NASA, & the U.S. Submarine Force

HP Pavilion HDX 9300 64-bit Dragon, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz | 8gb DDR2 RAM | 512MB 8800M GTS
Vista Ult. 64 | Linksys Dual-Band N Network | DriveSavers Agent | Wiki Answers Supervisor

"Professional Techs don't ask for Kudos or Points"

HP Recommended

I followed all the directions for getting updates for my Pavilion dv6449 notebook (same updates as dv6000) on Windows Vista32 and there is a mismatch between what BIOS version is documented F.3D 11/2007 and what the update (sp38061.exe, (1/1 , 3.12M)) actually has F.38 6/2007.  Did HP dowgrade their bois update on purpose or is this an error?  In any case, I have the same problem of WiFi not working, Broadcom Wireless driver not available in device manager anymore and amber (not blue) wifi light regardless of switch position.  It's gonna suck if this is a hardware failure.  I'm in Brazil! 

link to sp38061.exe BIOS update -->

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-56284-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈...

link that says laters BIOS version is F.3D or later... 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01087277#c01087277_identify

Update the BIOS to the latest version
The new BIOS release for your notebook PC is preventative in nature to reduce the likelihood of future system issues. The BIOS updates the fan control algorithm of the system, and turns the fan on at low volume while your notebook PC is operational. If you are currently experiencing any symptoms on your notebook PC, please contact HP for support.
Determine the correct version for your notebook PC from the table below
Notebook PC Series BIOS Version dv2000/V3000 F.39 or later dv6000/dv9000/V6000 F.3D or later
  NOTE: If you are a customer in Canada with an HP Notebook model DV2412CA or DV2404CA, do not update the notebook to BIOS version F.39.
Identify the current version of the BIOS
To determine the version of the current BIOS on the computer, perform the following steps:
  1. Press the power button to turn on the PC.
  2. When the HP or Compaq logo appears, press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
  3. When the Main menu is displayed, make note of the BIOS version. You will need this information to determine if a newer revision is available.
  4. To exit the BIOS setup, press F10 , select Yes , and then press Enter .
If the BIOS version listed is earlier than the version listed in the table above, then continue to the next section for instructions on updating the BIOS.
Obtain and install the latest version
To install the latest version of the BIOS for your notebook, follow the instructions below. You may want to print the instructions prior to the installation.
  NOTE: It is recommended that the notebook PC is connected with an AC adapter and connected to the Internet via an Ethernet cable as interruptions in power or wireless connections may result in the download failing to install.
  1. Open a browser and go to the HP Software & Drivers web site.
  2. On the Support & Drivers page, type the model number in the Search field and then press Enter.
  3. Select the operating system currently installed on the notebook.
  4. In the BIOS section, click WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS . The Version should be listed as the one identified in the table above or later.
  5. Click the Download only button on the page to begin the download of the BIOS update. Save the file to a convenient folder on the PC.
  6. Double-click the downloaded file to start the installation. Follow all prompts and restart the notebook when requested by the installation. Do not turn off the notebook until prompted to do so.

If the BIOS version identified in the table above or later is not available on the Software and Driver downloads page then contact HP support for assistance. 

HP Recommended

try different wireless drivers, too.  try the newest on the website, and also try using the one in your recovery manager, first.

Another option, if your notebook doesn't qualify for the service enhancement then you can try reseating the wireless card.

HP Recommended
rngipson, the originator of this thread with the dv6449... if you boot the system into "safe mode with networking" by hitting F8 or F10 (I forget which) when Windows it starting up... does your WiFi work?  If so, it shows nothing wrong with your hardwdare (Broadcom WiFi).
HP Recommended
my situation is identical to mgipson, except I have a Pressario F700.  It is not on the list of models entitled to the extended warrenty and of course Im 3 mos out of warrenty.  The tech on phone support said he could tell me how to fix it, but if would cost $99.  I declined hoping I could find some answers on line. Is there anything I can do on my ? Any advise appreciated
Message Edited by bf61 on 04-15-2009 09:04 PM
HP Recommended
I am having the same problem is well and got the same answer from the HP tech.  I just sent an email to HP about all of this nonsense and am hoping to get some answers.  I have never been so angry with a company as I am now.  My computer is a Compaq Presario F500 series and is also not covered for free repair nor was it eligable for a battery replacement due to overheating which i think is bologna.
HP Recommended
Why is that bologna?  Your nb is overheating so you should automatically get a free, new battery?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.