Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I followed the instructions on the BIOS process and the action keys was already enabled, but it didn't work in Excel ... what am i doing wrong ?

HP Recommended

Hey following link works for me.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035108

Thanks to all.

HP Recommended

I think what everyone actually wants to know is :

"WHY DOES MY KEYBOARD ALL OF A SUDDEN GET LOCKED USING OTHER SYMBOLS??"  It is sooooooooo annoying and I've been searching for an answer to this forever and I am still shocked that there is no one from HP is addressing this issue with the simple answer that it deserves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well we finally figured out how to get it back................  

Hold down the left side shift key (arrow key) and the left side ctrl key button down at the same time and hold it for five seconds.            

YEAH!!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi

I have a HP Pavillion m6 Notebook, Windows 7; when I try to follow the instructions provided I dont get the bios screen shown in the document linked I get a command prompt screen that looks totally different. I am not a total noob with computers, but a Bios is something I maybe access once a year at most so I backed out.

Has anyone succeed in doing this with my model computer. I use the F keys everyday in the software I run having to hold FN everytime I want to use the F key is totally unacceptable...

and to Chime in with Raj on another similar thread. HP What were you thinking why did you decide the standard keyboard set up was not on for you!! Did you think we would be happy about this nonsense!! You were wrong!!  and given the number of these threads I've uncovered why is this still in issue why have you not adressed this problem?

HP Recommended
Thomas_LaValley,

What is the exact model of your notebook? There are various models within the m6 model. If you want, provide the product number as that should help with getting more specific instructions.
NOTE: Do not provide the serial number.

To confirm, you want to use the alternate functions of keys without holding the Fn key. Is that correct?

You mentioned getting a command prompt type of window. Older systems had a black screen as a background for BIOS. Did that window have different menu options at the top?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Hi Cloud,

Thanks much for your time and trouble.

To anwser your questions,  the most specific model number I could find was Pavilion M6 1045dx Entertainment PC

This number was found on a sticky on the units case.

Per the system information:

The BIOS version is Insyde F.03 5/3/2012 SMBIOS Version is 2.7 

You asked, "You mentioned getting a command prompt type of window. Older systems had a black screen as a background for BIOS. Did that window have different menu options at the top? "

No the top was a white bar that said, Edit Boot Options; I cant rember the exact options presented; but it seemed to be about editing the boot path and Exe file; it was not the DOS looking program pictured, nor anything like it. In any event it did not look like any variation on the program pictured in your help piece.

You asked, "To confirm, you want to use the alternate functions of keys without holding the Fn key. Is that correct?"

I think we have each other backwards; I would like the Function keys to behave as normal function keys without having to press the FN button at the same time to access them; I have no interest what ever in the HP functions that preempt those functions. thanks.

BTW very cool handle TY again for your help. TRL.

HP Recommended

I think we have each other backwards; I would like the Function keys to behave as normal function keys without having to press the FN button at the same time to access them; I have no interest what ever in the HP functions that preempt those functions. thanks.

Thank you for that clarification.

Your bios should look like the image below:
BIOS

To get to that screen, try these steps:

1. Power off the notebook.

2. Power it on and immediately press F10 about once every second.

3. The above screen should load. Navigate to the System Configuration section using the arrow keys.

4. If action keys are enabled, the F1-F12 keys will do their blue functions without the Fn key being pressed. To get the universal Windows functions on those keys back, disable Action Keys Mode. With Action Keys Mode disabled, it should require the Fn key to be pressed and perform the blue functions of the keys and the normal application (or Windows) functions should be present by default.

5.  Press F10 and select Save and Exit to apply the new settings.

Let me know what happens.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Thankyou,

I had been holding down the F10 key which accesses a differnet app function than taping the F10 key; that was the significant difference; but I very much doubt I would have thought of that on my own, and I am in your debt.

Thankyou again for your time and trouble you;ve been a great help. Now I can use my computer properly the way I need to thank so much again. TRL

HP Recommended

I have tryed doing that an i look in all the menu options  and could not find any thing about the action keys or anything lioke that 

I have an HP ProBook 4430s

Can you help

HP Recommended
Probooks can have a very different BIOS layout with different options. I don't have access to that information. Sorry.

It may be best to post in the business support forums here.
Signature
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.