Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just recently bought an HP - dv6 WF536AV Laptop.

The sounds were proper from the built-in Altec Lansing speakers , till i updated the audio drivers via HP Support Utility.

Now i do not get any playback from the speakers mentioned above, but while plugging in my iPod headphones, there is audio in the headphones.

I've tried to reinstall the IDT Audio driver from the HP Support utility as well as one downloaded from the website :

IDT High-Definition Audio Driver  6.10.6289.0

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-86241-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Yet, nothing is resolved.   😞

Of what i understood from various articles on the web, was that the new driver sets the headphone jack as the primary device for audio output and hence it does not reach the speakers.

Also , I'm pretty sure of this not being a hardware conflict since the laptop is recently purchased and i've rarely used the headphone jack.

Following are the details about my system :

HP Pavilion dv6t customizable Notebook PC
• black cherry
• Genuine Window s 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-350M Dual Core processor (2.26GHz,
3MB L3 Cache)
• 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5470 sw itchable graphics
[HDMI, VGA]
• 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
• HP TrueVision Webcam and Digital Microphone

IDT High-Definition Audio Driver  6.10.6289.0

Hardware ID's :

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7605&SUBSYS_103C144A&REV_1004
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7605&SUBSYS_103C144A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

To check if the update upset another part of Windows, try the following:

Shut down the PC.  Tap away at f8 as you start the PC to bring up Windows recovery console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit return.  When this mode has loaded up, click the Start Menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and launch System Restore.  Pick a restore point a day before November 21 ( ie Nov 20 or Nov 19 ) and proceed with the Restore process.  When windows has rebooted, see if your speakers now work.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

86 REPLIES 86
HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and then open Device Manager.  Click the small arrow next to Sound Video and Game Controllers, right click on the IDT High Definition Audio Codec and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab then click on 'Roll back Driver'.  Click yes or Ok to any further prompts and let the process complete.  Reboot the PC and see if your sound is back.  If it is not repeat this process again.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

i am having the same issue. the driver updated on sunday and since then only the skype start up sound and message alerts are being played through the speakers. I tried rolling back to the previous driver and this did not work. please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi,

From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel and then open the IDT Audio Control Panel.  Click on the Playback tab at the top and then click on the Speakers and Dual Headphones button on the left then click on Settings.  Make sure in the first box that the radio button by 'Set as default playback device' is filled in.  Also, looking at the sliders in the bottom of the window, check the the slider for 'Master' is at the top of the bar and that it is not muted.  Also check the slider under the icon of a Laptop ( which should have a green tick against it ) is not at the bottom of the bar and is not muted.  Close this window.  Restart the PC.

Let me know if this has helped.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

@ DavidPK

Thank you for a quick reply.

I did roll back the driver as you said and rebooted.

After the reboot , i went to the device manager and found the IDT Audio driver yet again. I opened it's property and could not roll back the driver again since it was grayed out.

Also , i checked my IDT audio control panel , and Speakers and Headphones under playback were set to "Set as default playback device"  also the sliders were on max volume and were not on mute.

Please guide me.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Another thing to check is to right click the Windows speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Check that 'Speakers and Headphones - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC' is set as the default device.  If it is not, set it as the default device and apply the change.

You could also try the fixit from Microsoft on the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/no_sound/en-us

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Tried the fixit tool from Microsoft too , it detected no errors.

The Speakers and Headphones in the playback devices option is also set to default.

HP Recommended

Oh wait !

I went into Recovery Manager provided by HP.

Recovery Manager > Hardware Driver Reinstallation > IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver

and reinstalled it.

After the reboot , i played a song and suddenly , the playback was from the Altec Lansing inbuilt speakers for about 3 seconds after which there was no sound.

Still helpless.  *Sigh*

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here are a few more things to try.

Right click the Windows speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones - IDT High Definition Audio CODEC' to highlight it and then click Properties.  On the General tab check that Device usage is showing as 'use this device - enable'.  On the Levels tab check that the slider is not all the way to the left or muted.  On the Enhancements tab, put a tick next to 'Disable all Enhancements' and apply the change.  On the Advanced tab, make sure there is a tick in both boxes under  'Exclusive Mode' and apply any change you may have made. Click the test button to see if you hear a tone from either speaker - if you don't, click the dropdown box, select the first 24bit entry and apply the change.  Try the test button again.

Also worth checking are some services.  From the Start Menu, open the Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and then open Services.  Check that the following services are showing as Started and that the Start Up is set to Automatic.

Audio Service

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

Let me know how you get on.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Checked all that too.

Everything is set to what you just mentioned.

I truly appreciate your effort in resolving this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.