Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to carry out the System Restore in Safe Mode again, but choose a slightly earlier restore point and see if that works.

I'm looking in to further options to try at the moment.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for a guided assistance.  🙂

Unfortunately , there are no more restore points before November 21 , 2010.

So guess, I will probably take it down to the HP store and have it examined.

Will surely get back to you soon.

Nice talking to you David.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, I really hope you get it sorted out.  Been nice speaking to you.

Best wishes,

David

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

On Nov 6 the HP Support Assistant prompted me to update some device drivers so I did it.  I appeared to be updating the IDT audio drivers among other things.  Shortly after that I realized I could not play any of my MP3 music files in iTunes or WMA.  Also, when viewing Quicktime movies there was no audio.  There was audio when watching videos on YouTube, CNN, etc.

When I right-clicked the speaker icon in the system tray and selected Recording Devices or Playback Devices I would get an error message saying that Windows detected a problem with the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC and asked if I wanted to disable enhancments.  The message came up three times, for Speakers and Headphones, Independent Headphones, and Integrated Microphone Array.  I clicked yes on each to disable the enhancements and now everything appears to be working.

RD

HP Pavillion DV5

Win7 64 bit Home Premium

HP Recommended

@David

Well i haven't had the time to take it to a service centre lately.

But a strange thing happened today , the right speaker in the laptop now seems to be playing music (or say seems to be working).

And what i conclude from this is that probably the speakers in the laptop are faulty or the wiring of the speakers are faulty.

HP Recommended

So i did call the customer support helpline for HP and narrated my problems with the Altec Lansing speakers.

In this process , (telephonically) they concluded that VLC player is responsible for fusing the speakers out and that they would not cover the repairs under warranty and would charge me for it.

However , i found out on VLC forums , statement of the developer of VLC player was as follows :

Re: Things that service center people say...

by j-b » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:45 pm
Clearly not.
This is a stupid excuse from big american brands that don't understand anything at computers.

VLC allows you to over-amplify a file (audio above 100%) and that can lead to saturation in the audio output.
But, VLC uses all the normal Windows APIs, and sound is output to the speakers through the drivers.

The problem of those misdesigned laptops is that the audio drivers are outputting waves that are too strong for the speakers...
But they don't want to fix their drivers and don't want to put less crappy speakers...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer and Sites administrator

I can confirm the above statement since the problem began after i updated the audio driver to the latest IDT Audio Driver which triggered the whole fault.

So is VLC to be blamed ? or is HP supposed to be blamed for releasing driver updates not capable enough run effeciently ?

Why should we pay for something we we'rent cautioned about ?

Kindly help in resolving this dilemma.

HP Recommended

Hi,

It would be my opinion the the audio driver is resposible for limiting the output to the speakers.

Best wishes,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dm4-1162us laptop and I just had similar audio issues start today.

I had headphones plugged in to play a game and when I was finished, I unplugged my headphones, and suddenly no sound was coming out of the laptop's speakers. The sound works when I plug the headphones in again.

• I have checked all of the audio settings and made sure the speakers are set as default and enabled.
  • I made sure that disabled devices are visible.
  • All sound tests have failed.
  • I have rolled back the drivers to version 6.10.6300.0 and also I have tried reinstalling the latest version 6.10.6324.0 yet it still doesn't work.
  • A Windows System Restore to a point where IDT Audio configuration was changed did not solve the problem.

I noticed throughout the ordeal, the IDT control panel looked like it detected the headphone jack as active even though nothing was plugged in.

idt-jack-detected.gif

Is there a way to reset this detected state? If anything else, how can I just use the Windows audio drivers? Do I need to remove the driver files in the swsetup folder?

I don't believe the speakers could have blown out.. this laptop is less than 5 months old. And I use the equalizer to raise the volume past "100%" when I watch video.

edit:

I did some searching and found this Dell support post (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19353912.aspx) with this YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0uISPAGhg). If you configure your internal mic so you can "Listen to this device" and configure it again to "Playback through this device: Headphones", the speakers will work! So the speakers are fine. This is obviously some kind of driver logic that isn't resolving correctly.

mic-properties.png

HP Recommended

Hi ,. need help ., have no sound on vlc 1.1.8  ., i have sound on wind. media , and everywhere els , but vlc no sound ??? VLC working good ,equalizers is detecting sound ,but no real sound ? 

HP Recommended
Thank you soooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D I'm freaking stoked!!!! I've owned my laptop for over a year now and have been forced to listen to everything through the headphone port. I've spent hours messing with drivers and settings but that took seconds to fix, so awesome. You just made my day!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.