Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I too had to register because I felt I HAD to respond to this forum.  You are experiencing the same problem as I am. A black screen with a green light on caplock.  My wifi light is orange. I tried to hard reset with taking battery out etc. Now the laptop isnt even coming on any more but I hear  the fan turning on. It appears we are having the same issue as thousands of people had years ago. Which is a problem with the graghics chip due to overheating issues. There was a lawsuit and a settlement a few years ago . Apparently it was decided that rather than change the connection materials they used they would just have the fan run constantly. This delays the breakdown issue hopefully past the warranty time frame. Or maybe thats just my cynical thought process of why they would do that. Since I got my laptop at xmas in 2010 (mine is 16 mo. old), well after these issues originally came to light  it ismy view that faulty design was knowingly put on the market after a settlement. My daughter also bought an HP with her school loan money and paid over $1,000 for hers and is on her 3rd motherboard. The original plus shipping 2 more back and forth. She knows hers wont come back on  if you shut it down when done so she has to leave it open ALWAYS. She was told they would not replace unless she had the same issue more than 3xs. Due to a job lay-off we rely VERY heavily on our computer to job search and file for un-emplyment benefits.  So all the negative stories about HP's lack of commitment to customer satisfaction is especially frightening. To think we purposely chose HP products because we thought they would be solid. What a dissappointment.  So what's YOUR response HP?

HP Recommended

HP Recommended
Thank you rblencoe99! I felt compelled to make a new account here just to give recognition to the advice you offered. I had this same problem with the blank screen on bootup and the flashing Caps Lock. I tried every solution I could find, including completely disassembling the machine and removing/reinstalling the components, but nothing worked. I then tried over heating the laptop as you suggested and to my surprise it booted right up after doing so! Thanks again for posting this solution. I hope others find this thread so they know how to fix this without spending a fortune on new hardware.
HP Recommended
Lol I registered just to tell u YOU ARE GENIUS!!!!!!!!! After trying everything possible that everyone else has tried, I came across this post & tried wrapping mine the way u described & IT WORKED!!
HP Recommended
I was referring to rblencoe99!!!!!! 🙂
HP Recommended

I created an account as well to let you know that the overheating method worked for me too. Updating and cleaning as we speak.

HP Recommended

I also created an account to say that the overheating method worked for me too... sort of. The laptop is now running and I'm transferring files. It's running quite a bit slower now, but that could be because so many programs were running when it crashed and it's trying to to restore them.

Regardless, even if it returns to normal operation, I'll replace this with a non-HP laptop and  never buy another HP computer. This machine is less than two years old. I have too many critical projects going to trust a laptop that could crash again at any moment.

HP Recommended
You rock! Solved my issue!
HP Recommended

As a follow-up to my 8/24/2012 post, the blanket wrap worked... kinda. It will now boot up after a wrap session, but when I turn it off and attempt to turn it on again, the same problem occurs. I have now turned on the machine, set the power saver mode to NEVER and have left it running ever since. I've ordered a new lapto that should arrive this week, but it's a shame I can't permanently fix this one.

HP Recommended

when i started my compaq cq41 pc ,then my pc did not start and caps lock on off and my led remail black .what i do

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.