Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

EVERYONE READ!! IMPORTANT INFO!! i was having the same exact problems. after googling for 4 months, and almost giving up, i tried something else. google and hp support was saying all this nonsense about bios corruption and all kinds of things. i was convinced my laptop was done for. i decided to you tube how to take it apart. so i did, and cleaned everything. the fan and exhaust was horribly dusty. again, i cleaned it all, put it all back together, turned it back on , and FINALLY! a good cleaning is all it needed all this time. THATS ALL IT TOOK! So before listening to all the scary things about it being broken or crashed, CLEAN IT FIRST!! WORKED!!

HP Recommended

Hey,

So, I was enjoying American Horror Story Freak Show the other night on my HP ENVY DV6 laptop, and it overheated and turned off on me. Keep in mind this has happened to me many a time, but this time was different. It began doing a bunch of screwy stuff, and then it had me update something and in mid-installing of it, it overheated and turned off again. When I went to turn it on, it gave me the blinking caps lock button and the orange WIFI LED...so here I am.

I have been trying the blanket technique stated here, and I've done it a few times without any luck.  Does it matter if the battery is in? Does it matter if the laptop is plugged in? I've tried it a few times with varying techniques - once with no battery in but plugged, once with battery in and no plug, a few times with battery in AND plugged...and I'm kinda stumped and I don't know what to do now. Everyone here has said that the method worked for them and I'm worried that maybe my computer is actually just toast...which would kinda be lame because it's barely even two years old...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

HP Recommended
Yo it will work cyanide... It just has to get hotter...leave it wrapped up where as it can't breath at all... Maybe for 45 min to an hour or until it shuts off dye to overheating .. But it will work...
HP Recommended
Hp 6735s when switched on it power led and wireless led plus caps lock button is flashing or blinking but no display
HP Recommended

OK seriously? This worked! I love it! My craptop has been overheating way too much lately, but of course I haven't done anything about it... until today when it shut right down (same symptoms as everyone). Although I am smart enough to back up my data etc, I hadn't considered the hours and hours of home movies as well as our pictures for the last 10 years! HELLO?!?! Well, thanks to your tip, I was able to get back in, and backup everything! Now if it becomes an anchor, I'm OK with it! Thanks a bunch, you rock! Johnny MacDonald

HP Recommended

I am sorry to say but this seems to be so super common of a problem with HP laptops. I own a small repair shop and I see 5 to 6 HP laptops with the same problem a week.

Cheaply built computers and the CPUs are getting so hot that the solder is getting melted so we have to reball the motherboard with better quality solder. HP is not even helping folks who are still under warranty. Shamefull really.

HP Recommended

My HP G56 had the same symptoms.  Local repair  shop told me the hard drive had crashed and could not be recovered.  I wrapped the notebook in a Lenox microfiber bath towel.  It took about 45 minutes for it to get hot enough to turn itself off.  After letting it cool, it booted up and is operating normally.  It seemed a very bizzare idea, but I figured I had nothing to loose before buying a replacement motherboard.  For the guy who says it did not work, the caps lock key should be blinking about once every 3 seconds.  This tells you it is the cpu.  If it is blinking more than once between the 3 second pause, it is some other problem and the baking technique probably won't work.  The number of times the caps lock light blinks is a code to tell you what is wrong.  Thanks to all on the forum for the help.

HP Recommended
I have an HP G42-475Dx I got a few years ago and it's experiencing all of the above. The towel thing worked and I tried downloading a new bios but I apparently have the newest one already. It still didn't work. I want to do the towel thing one more time but I have to know if there is a solution available? Is it forever doomed? Please help
HP Recommended
Superjox,
The solution is to take it to a computer repair shop and have the tech open your laptop and clean all the copper and metal components. There is a chip that needs to be cleaned then have new adhesive applied to the chip sink and it will be good as new. The only thing is that after some time, it will go bad again and you have to get it cleaned again. That is what you are doing when you heat it with a towel. You are melting the adhesive then letting it cool to dry the adhesive but its only a temporary fix until you take it to the shop to be repaired. Hope this helps.
HP Recommended

The "adhesive" is heat sink compound.  You can get a small tube at Radio Shack for about $3.  You can disassemble the notebook yourself and reapply.  There are several You Tube videos showing how to do it.  Just make sure to get an anti static wrist band, or you can do more harm than good.  Also clean out the area around the fan real well while unit is apart.  For those who the towel technique does not work, perhaps the heat sink material is too far gone, and replacing it will do the trick.  Try it, and let us know what happens.

@logics71 wrote:
Superjox,
The solution is to take it to a computer repair shop and have the tech open your laptop and clean all the copper and metal components. There is a chip that needs to be cleaned then have new adhesive applied to the chip sink and it will be good as new. The only thing is that after some time, it will go bad again and you have to get it cleaned again. That is what you are doing when you heat it with a towel. You are melting the adhesive then letting it cool to dry the adhesive but its only a temporary fix until you take it to the shop to be repaired. Hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.